FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By chrisaggie
This is my first winter dormancy with drosera in my bog. Night time temperatures are going to get down to around 40 two nights this week where I am and I figure most of my drosera filiformis and tracyi will begin to think about going dormant soon. My idea is to cut a lot of leaves off these plants to begin leaf propagation indoors under lights. Any reason this is a bad idea?
By Intheswamp
That sounds like a good plan to me, though I'm a newbie. I dream of having a small forest of Tracyi!!! Are these red (pink flower) or green(anthocyanin free/white flower)? If you end up with too many Tracyi leaves I'd love to get some of them!!!! :D I've been looking for some affordable plants (not a lot of luck there :( ), some leaf cuttings would be great! I know you weren't offering them out, but figured I had nothing to lose by putting a bug in your ear about them. :mrgreen: Thanks!
chrisaggie liked this
By Panman
chrisaggie wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:39 pm My idea is to cut a lot of leaves off these plants to begin leaf propagation indoors under lights. Any reason this is a bad idea?
The sooner you cut them, the better. Once the plants start slowing down their growth, you are less likely to get strikes off of the leaves. I have found that the older the leaves are, the less strikes that they produce.
chrisaggie liked this
By chrisaggie
Intheswamp wrote:That sounds like a good plan to me, though I'm a newbie. I dream of having a small forest of Tracyi!!! Are these red (pink flower) or green(anthocyanin free/white flower)? If you end up with too many Tracyi leaves I'd love to get some of them!!!! :D I've been looking for some affordable plants (not a lot of luck there :( ), some leaf cuttings would be great! I know you weren't offering them out, but figured I had nothing to lose by putting a bug in your ear about them. :mrgreen: Thanks!
These are the pink flowered 'Bruce' plants. I only have a couple plants, so I won't have extra right now. Maybe next year when they leaf out and seed I will have enough seeds or leaves to share with you.
By Intheswamp
Thanks for the consideration! Just thought I'd ask. ;) I hope the cuttings take good and start a lot of sprouts. Panman is experience in this so I'd follow his suggestion and get the cuttings going ASAP. I've tried a few leaf-cuttings and the fresher, more actively growing leaves work better at getting strikes than the older "a little passed their prime" leaves get. But, I have really limited experience with it. Best wishes on yours!!!
By chrisaggie
A lot of the strikes are beginning to form roots. I was planning to let them grow for a couple more weeks before beginning to move them to soil media. Since this is my first time with this technique, does this timing sound about right?
Attachments:
D tracyi strike roots
D tracyi strike roots
tracyi strike roots 11132022.jpg (67.97 KiB) Viewed 3142 times
By optique
Before they went dormant i cut off a handful if leaves and dropped them into a jar and placed it in a window. the water was a little green so i changed it out today and took a photo. Going to give them like two more weeks before i pot them up and dome them.

FL-Red white flower
chrisaggie liked this
By chrisaggie
I potted up the cuttings today. Most of the strikes had no or very small roots. Maybe 10% had more substantial roots. I counted 186 strikes that were potted. They are in a domed tray. I'm hoping they are big enough to move into the outdoor bog by spring.
Attachments:
D tracyi2 12112022.jpg
D tracyi2 12112022.jpg (189.29 KiB) Viewed 2668 times
D tracyi 12112022.jpg
D tracyi 12112022.jpg (175.09 KiB) Viewed 2668 times
By Intheswamp
Have those been in water all of this time? What growing mix did you go with? I don't have *near* that many Florida Giant x Tracyi strikes that I need to pot up. So you took the entire cuttings and moved them to individual pots. Mine have been growing in some live sphagnum moss and I'm trying to decide on going with live sphagnum or go with a 50:50 peat/perlite mix.
By chrisaggie
Update: The tracyi plants are doing well. Some of the smaller strikes dried out and didn't make it after being transplanted but I have around 100 plants growing now. I'll probably grow them like this until March and then move them outside in the bog. These are the D. tracyi ' Bruce' plants. If anyone has some Florida red, dreamsicle, hybrida type Drosera they would like to trade in the early spring, let me know.
Attachments:
d tracyi Jan 2023 2.jpg
d tracyi Jan 2023 2.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 2438 times
d tracyi Jan 2023 1.jpg
d tracyi Jan 2023 1.jpg (1023.02 KiB) Viewed 2438 times
Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!