FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By MikeB
I just spotted this thread and decided to share my pics. The first one is my pot full of Drosera filiformis var. filiformis. They'e already 7 inches / 18 centimeters tall, with a bunch of flowers on the way. This group is in a 14 inch / 35 centimeter bowl pot, consisting of somewhere between 35 and 50 individuals. The last time that I divided this pot was 3 years ago, and I donated 30 plants to the Stanley Rehder Carnivorous Plant Garden in Wilminton, NC. With a little luck, I can go there this summer and see how they're doing.
Drosera filiformis.jpg
Drosera filiformis.jpg (712.87 KiB) Viewed 7274 times
The second pic is my Drosera x 'Dreamsicle'. I bought it a couple years ago, and it has already created 8-10 offshoots. They're hitting 9 inches / 22 centimeters tall, also with a bunch of flowers on the way. I really like the color and the size of this sundew.
Drosera x Draamsicle.jpg
Drosera x Draamsicle.jpg (631.51 KiB) Viewed 7274 times
The third pic is an unintentional hybrid: Drosera filiformis var. filiformis x Drosera filiformis var. floridana (a.k.a., Florida Red or All Red). Two years ago, I bought 4 Florida Red plants from a guy on eBay. They are very pretty plants, especially if you can give them all-day sun. I had just one problem with this variety: it doesn't go dormant in the winter. I keep my plants outside all year round, so it's "go dormant or die". I managed to get them through the first winter okay. In the second year, they multiplied like weeds, blooming from May to October. Apparently, some of the native bees cross-pollinated my regular filiformis plants with the Florida ones. The offspring got a lot of red coloration from their southern parent and dormancy capability from their northern parent. I have about a dozen of these hybrids. I ended up giving the tray loaded with Florida Reds to my friend with a commercial greenhouse.
Drosera filiformis hybrid.jpg
Drosera filiformis hybrid.jpg (439.03 KiB) Viewed 7274 times
By sanguinearocks101
MikeB wrote:The second pic is my Drosera x 'Dreamsicle'. I bought it a couple years ago, and it has already created 8-10 offshoots.
Drosera create offshoots? My Drosera intermedia suddenly had another growth point that was too big to be a seedling and I was wondering how it got there.
By MikeB
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:56 pmDrosera create offshoots? My Drosera intermedia suddenly had another growth point that was too big to be a seedling and I was wondering how it got there.
D. filiformis, D. tracyi, and their hybrids are big on sprouting offshoots:
Offshoots.jpg
Offshoots.jpg (323.61 KiB) Viewed 7266 times
First the original plant makes offshoots, then the offshoots make offshoots, and you end up with a whole herd of them in the pot.
By Benny
MikeB wrote: I keep my plants outside all year round, so it's "go dormant or die".
Right there with you, Mike. I don't like plants that require special care.
By Benny
I know that d. filformis ssp. filformis can survive year round here (haven't gotten one yet), but Florida red doesn't go dormant.
MikeB liked this
Re-introduction

Thanks so much for sharing this great information![…]

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!