FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By devkatie
I planted some drosera capensis seeds for the first time and noticed today I have some new tiny! seedlings. My question is I covered the top of the pots with plastic wrap to keep humidity up for germinating. Now that they have can I remove the plastic wrap so they get used to lower humidity right off the bat?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
By riveraXVX
so far in the three times I've had bagged seedlings I've done both where I slowly removed the covers from them over a week or two, and I've ripped the cover off them with zero regard for acclimation.

Capensis seem tough if we lost many from either method I didn't notice it.
riveraXVX liked this
By KategoricalKarnivore
Usually keep them covered until there are 3-4 leaves. That way the roots have enough time to grow and can provide water to the plant instead of just the humidity doing it. Then I take it off with no acclimating period.
By animalisterra
I have been raising this sundew too. As KategoricalKarnivore said, I keep the seedlings in a covered container to maintain moisture as the roots are going into the ground. once they have been totally submerged into the medium, there is really no need to have a top on anymore. Having the top on can grow mold and other fungus that could kill the plant. Once it has its first true leaf, I would recommend feeding very small pieces of bugs that only cover 25% of the leaf. I do this with surgical tweezers. This is one of mine with an insect on its leaf.
Attachments:
IMG_8263.jpg
IMG_8263.jpg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 1509 times
By devkatie
animalisterra wrote:I have been raising this sundew too. As KategoricalKarnivore said, I keep the seedlings in a covered container to maintain moisture as the roots are going into the ground. once they have been totally submerged into the medium, there is really no need to have a top on anymore. Having the top on can grow mold and other fungus that could kill the plant. Once it has its first true leaf, I would recommend feeding very small pieces of bugs that only cover 25% of the leaf. I do this with surgical tweezers. This is one of mine with an insect on its leaf.
How old are your seedlings? Did it take them long to get a true leaf?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
By animalisterra
I planted the seeds about a month and a half ago. The true leaf stared growing at the beginning of this week.
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!