FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By CestMagnifique
For those of you that have grown this plant before, what germination times have you experienced? I have three varieties that have yet to germinate, it has been ~3 weeks. I know this is supposedly in the normal range, but surely I should see something soon. They are under two 150w 6500k lights and get some direct sunlight too.
By nimbulan
I have had trouble germinating them myself, which is strange considering they're supposed to be very weedy. The ones I have had sprout took less than a month, though I've been told that 3 months or more is not uncommon.
By CestMagnifique
Alright, well, I am at 3 weeks right now... so I guess there may be two more weeks from that estimate. The room they are in averages ~75ºF during the day and ~70ºF at night. So frustrating for someone as impatient as I am... they need to germinate! :P

Keep the input coming everyone, this can be a nice thread with many different germination times for D. burmannii.
By jadewuvchicken
70-75 degrees is ok. The waiting game is hard but the seeds will be ok. I was impatient too when I waited for mine to germinate. Sometimes you won't know that they did germinate unless you use a magnifying glass. The soil might seem empty but they might germinate even if you can't see it :o They look like tiny green dots.
By CestMagnifique
Yes, I have been looking very closely with sunglasses on. My CFLs are ridiculously bright. I have even taken pictures with my camera and phone to zoom in on things I think may have been plants. So far, it has only turned out to be some lighter colored material in the peat.
By David F
Burmanii can take forever.

Try leaving your container open for a while and vent the humidity. Do this for 2-3 days then slowly start to close it again. I, and others have found this drying effect aids burmanii with germination.
By Leathal_Traps
First time with typical burmannii germination took 13 days cause seeds were harvested right before germination, so they were as fresh as they could be. With my Hann River red giants germination took exactly 4 weeks. I still have Humpty Doo seeds I need to germinate so see how long they take. In all cases my pot was on my windowsill with probably around 90 degrees when the sun was hitting the pot and probably around 80 ish during night.

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!