FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

I don't have any pictures, since I currently have the entire plant dunked in water to try and drown the bastards, but I noticed that my binata multifada that I put outside, it was unfurling 2 new leaves originally, like they're all balled up and you can see the tentacles, but today the balled up leaves were all unhealthy and shrivelled looking. One of them even had a hole in it near the part where the stem meets the rolled up trap. There was a little bit of webbing as well, but it didn't look like spider mite webs.

I did see one big aphid stuck in one of the dew traps, and a white looking aphid crawling around the plant, but those were the only ones I saw.

Is this aphid damage? They attack the new leaves and suck them dry before they even unravel?
By ChefDean
Without a pic we cannot positively identify a potential culprit for any damage. The two aphids you saw could have blown onto the plant 5 seconds before you saw them, and they don't leave visible holes in a plant.
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
ChefDean wrote:Without a pic we cannot positively identify a potential culprit for any damage. The two aphids you saw could have blown onto the plant 5 seconds before you saw them, and they don't leave visible holes in a plant.
I understand, I picked up the plant and took some pictures.

The two traps that just stopped growing:

A hole in one of the leaves:

Weird mottling on the leaves:

Plant:

Bug that just floated to the surface I just noticed after soaking the plant for a few hours so far, maybe this was the culprit?:
By Panman
Likely so. I don't really see anything majorly wrong with the plant. A little puny looking, maybe, but nothing it won't recover from.
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
Panman wrote:Likely so. I don't really see anything majorly wrong with the plant. A little puny looking, maybe, but nothing it won't recover from.
Hmmm, sounds good then. It's my first time dealing with pests outside, last spring and summer didn't have any issues at all with them, but this year wow, aphids everywhere. I've got parsley growing in a container on my deck and it got infested like crazy by aphids. Luckily blasting it with neem oil killed them all for now, but wow, I've never seen so many aphids in my life here!
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, I just wanted your thoughts on Dionaea m.[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!