FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By plantnerdjules
My D adelea were going well for several months... then they lost their dew early in November and haven't regained it.

They all have good LFS, good water, 60-85% humidity. Our climate is tropical (summer now) with temperatures very close to what D adelae would get in its natural range. Over the past two months I tried more light for some plants, less light for some, with no noticeable difference. Obviously they can't catch insects without dew, so I tried 'feeding' tiny drops of very dilute liquid fertiliser (similar to your Maxsea). It didn't damage the leaves and it seemed to encourage some new leaf growth. But still no dew. All the plants continue to look poorly and one of them is seriously miserable (RHS in photo).

Any ideas on what's wrong? How can I help them recover?
Drosera adelae longtime lacking dew
Drosera adelae longtime lacking dew
P1141102cra.jpg (2.15 MiB) Viewed 1154 times
By ChefDean
Dew production is usually a result of a combination of good water and good light.
Obviously it needs water to booger up, but dews won't booger up without sufficient light.
When you say you've tried less and more light, is this direct sunlight? Or a grow light? Sunlight should be sufficient, but a grow light might not be enough.
By plantnerdjules
I think direct sun at this time of year - mid-summer tropical sun - would fry them :shock:

They do have bright indirect light, natural photo-period. And previously they were dewy and growing fine with this indirect light.

Trying to solve the dew-loss problem, I moved two plants to bright full-spectrum growlights. Those plants have shown no improvement compared to other D adelae plants that only had the same indirect light. So I think light isn't the cause of my problem.

Very disappointing watching these plants declining and not knowing what to do about it :?
Not what you would expect...

Is it behind the seedling cup of drosera capensis […]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!