FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By SkyClan Cat
I was reading about miniature roses, and a thing people do with them for winter is dig a hole, put the pot into the hole, and put mulch over it for extra insulation. Could this sort of thing work for a Venus flytrap in zone 6b? Obviously I would have to have some sort of barrier between the pot and the yard soil so that nutrients wouldn't leak into the pot. And because of that, I suppose I'd need to protect it from the rain somehow.

6b is still a bit colder than their native environment, though. Are there things I could do to provide additional protection that would be quick and cheap?
By David F
My zone is 6b also, I think you would have bad luck if you just buried your plants, they would probably enjoy photosynthesis over the break.

I would go with the fridge method before I did this, however people who use bogs often mulch the top of the bog and that seems to work fine.

6b is such a different story though. I used to read all of these things about people's plants surviving really low temperatures. I have to tell you that these are the exceptions and most of the CPs don't survive a hard freeze that last for 4 days. They will just die.

If you have a cool room with a south facing window, I think that's your best bet.
By SkyClan Cat
Unfortunately I don't have a cool room... I wouldn't have this problem if I did. The coolest accessible spot I have is the basement, but I'm not sure that would even be cool enough. It's only slightly cooler than the rest of the house, like probably somewhere in the 60s.

I might be able to keep the little flytraps in the window behind my dad's computer monitor, but my two big ones are in too big of a pot for that. I suppose I may have to try the fridge, either that or put them back into cups and put them in the window as well.
By Matt
If you give the plant natural sunlight or a shortened photo period, low temperatures are secondary in importance. I've not tested it, nor do I know anyone who has, but I'd bet that flytraps receiving natural sunlight would go dormant just fine at temperatures in the 60s or perhaps even the low 70s.

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!