FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Propag8
Well in my opinion fts cultivars are some of the most unique in the world. Triffid currently have maroon monster, lunatic fringe and slim snapper. Maybe they will travel to Oregon and fetch us some more :D
Matt, ChefDean liked this
By tr1067
Propag8 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:15 pm I already found my answer to the shipping question in the fly trap store chat section. It's a shame legalities get in the way I'm sure you would have a lot of customers for live plants overseas but I understand the complexity of it. There is a vft grower/nursery here in UK selling I think maybe 3 clones of your cultivars (Triffid nurseries) frustratingly not the ones on the top of my list but fts cultivars all the same. :D
hi i live in Northern Ireland and have spent a lot of time searching for vft suppliers,found a few but the best i have come across is, http://littleshopofhorrors.co.uk bought 2 from them,fast delivery and beautiful plants a lot cheaper than the one you mentioned,i hope this is helpful,cheers Tom
Propag8 liked this
By Propag8
Cheers Tom. I had my b52 from little shop of horrors and it was great service and a good quality plant. I only mentioned Triffid as they sell a couple of cultivars that Matt from the fly trap store (fts) produced himself and he has some awesome fly traps. He can't ship to the UK or republic of Ireland so makes me want them more. I've sourced one of Matt's cultivars from Germany from a guy who has the craziest collection of vfts I've ever seen totalling over 450 different cultivars but he is a pure collector not a nursery he only sells excess plants.
tr1067 liked this
By ChefDean
It seems I'm late to the party, but here's my two cents. As soon as mine naturally enter dormancy, I put them into my unheated, unlighted garage. They seem to do okay.
When the temps start to stay above freezing, I put them outside and they take off.
This year, I'm probably going to have at least six divisions off of 1 typical flytrap. I don't know if you're able to duplicate that instance in the UK, but a fridge is a close second.
Happy growing.
By Propag8
Thanks chefdean. Do they receive any ambient light at all in your garage e.g. through any windows or are they literally in the dark.
By ChefDean
The only light they get is when I open my garage door. My garage is unheated and uninsulated, but it stays above freezing and dark.
My biggest problem is springtime. I put them out when it looks like it will stay above about 35°F (2°C), but Mother Nature likes to play games. Since they are beginning to come out of dormancy, I bring them in for the night if the temp drops below freezing. So, in my case in Tennessee, they're literally in the dark from late November until March-ish.
By Joeynator3000
I was wondering about this, guess light isn't too important then...this goes for other plants as well, right? (I have an american pitcher and the butterwort I guess counts as well. lol)

Hopefully my flytrap can make it to winter and recover elsewhere since my pain in the butt cat keeps going after it while indoors for some reason.
By Propag8
Chefdean sounds just the way mine would be kept if I don't provide any artificial light at all and the winter temps sound similar to here in the UK maybe a little milder in Tennessee some years it can get very cold -6 or much colder here sometimes so that might be a problem for me. Matt said they can withstand a freeze but not to sure about repetitive freezing and thawing.
By Propag8
joeynator I feel your pain with the cat. Mine aren't interested really in my plants but yesterday one of them decided to try and jump through my kitchen window that was closed :? bounced off and took out 2 orchids, a baby b52 and b52 mother plant. They all survived just but I was not happy. :roll:
By Joeynator3000
Propag8 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:30 pm joeynator I feel your pain with the cat. Mine aren't interested really in my plants but yesterday one of them decided to try and jump through my kitchen window that was closed :? bounced off and took out 2 orchids, a baby b52 and b52 mother plant. They all survived just but I was not happy. :roll:
Yeah I dunno what got into her, all of the sudden she just felt like eating off all of the Red Dragon's traps, and pretty much killed the small cape sundew growing next to it. She did chew on my american pitcher a little bit but after that she wasn't interested. Thankfully my butterwort and main cape sundew were left alone (they're my favorites, lol).

Looks like my Red Dragon is still alive, though, and found another way to protect it when I'm not home or asleep.

....Oh right she also decided to chew off one of my cape sundew's flower stalks and scattered seeds everywhere. xD
By Propag8
Lol sounds like she was a caterpillar in a previous life. So many people on this forum have said about cats eating or playing with plants it's strange maybe they have some scent we can't pick up on that attracts the insects that cats like too. You definitely need a safeguarding strategy to protect your plants. Maybe your cat will poop some seeds around and that was the plants plan all along lol.

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

Is the pot draining? What water are you using? Wha[…]

What on earth is this?

Looks a lot like springtails to me. Other possibil[…]

What’s happening

Ok so I went looking again today and noticed a sid[…]

All three of those are available in the seed bank[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!