FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By pastelgalaxy748
hello!! ive been thinking of getting a new carnivorous plant to add to my little family of vft and pitchers but i dont know what to get...

im not an expert at growing plants, but i currently have about 8 houseplants in addition to my vft and pitcher plant, which seem to be thriving.

basically, im not looking for an extremely high-maintenance plant, but i would still like one that presents a small challenge and one i can proudly call my son

ALSO IM ON A BUDGET AND STILL LIVING WITH MY PARENTS (im 16) AND CAN'T DRIVE ANYWHERE YET SO ANY LINKS TO ONLINE SHOPS ARE APPRECIATED

also i need a name for it
By Huntsmanshorn
Maybe you could try a nice Utricularia they range from dead easy to ridiculously temperamental so buyers choice! Can't really see the traps though but oh those flowers! Nuff said, right? No? Not your thing? Well, then you simply can not beat a Mexican Pinguicula. Lots of different types to choose from, all depending on your particular wants and needs. Such variety! Some are stupid easy to grow, some are a little pickier and some are a lot pickier! Many have attractive foliage and flower readily. None are really very big so they don't take up too much room on that windowsill you've been eyeing. What's not to love?! No? Still not convinced? Want to play Hard Ball, huh? Okay, fine! Want to really stretch yourself? Take a real chance? Then try a Cephalotus. Has many of the same fine qualities as the Mexican Pings but can be more challenging and you risk more if it croaks. Sure they can run you a few bucks, maybe even more than a few bucks, maybe even more than that if you really like to gamble but you know what they say right? Big Risk, Big Reward! That's right, step right up and take a walk on the Wild Side! You won't be sorry! No siree!
By pastelgalaxy748
@Huntsmanshorn THANKS A MILLION, i really like the mexican pings, so pretty, and so many colors! and the FLOWERS on those ULTRIS i think im in heaven

i'll be promptly buying some of the others too probably lol
By Caramelmarkie
Droseras! I love the way they choke on their catch. Hahaha. Cape dews had been very easy for me. The d. aliciae also looks really really nice. You will love them when they get all dewy and all. Drosera for me is love. But all cps are good. Just my fave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Caramelmarkie liked this
By Lukebart02
pastelgalaxy748 wrote:hello!! ive been thinking of getting a new carnivorous plant to add to my little family of vft and pitchers but i dont know what to get...

im not an expert at growing plants, but i currently have about 8 houseplants in addition to my vft and pitcher plant, which seem to be thriving.

basically, im not looking for an extremely high-maintenance plant, but i would still like one that presents a small challenge and one i can proudly call my son

ALSO IM ON A BUDGET AND STILL LIVING WITH MY PARENTS (im 16) AND CAN'T DRIVE ANYWHERE YET SO ANY LINKS TO ONLINE SHOPS ARE APPRECIATED

also i need a name for it
I would definitely go for either drosera or ping!! Good luck on whatever you get!
By King Drosophyllum VI
I am also living with my parents because I am 15. We have a greenhouse so I grow most of my plants there except for some that prefer indoors.

I have found Utriculara longifolia easy to grow on my window and I grow some unidentified Nepenthes hybrids next to them. I bought a broccinia reducta a few months ago and it is doing good indoors.

I also have a corpse flower (I mean the giant 10ft tall one (mine is still young so its leaf is about my height)) that I have had for about 2 years at that window so I believe that some of the most challenging plants can be successfully grown indoors by beginners.
Last edited by King Drosophyllum VI on Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
By King Drosophyllum VI
Also you said:
"one i can proudly call my son"
Because of this you might like to get a Nepenthes as there are male and female plants so you can get a male plant to call "son"...........
This is supposed to be a joke.
By thenewwwguy
some Utrics and Sundews can be good windowsill plants. I too am 16, and I just got lights. I’m also really lucky to have a cool house so i can grow some more highland-ish plants. Really the type of plants you grow comes down to your growing conditions. I grow 4 Sarracenia outside, as well as a Nepenthes ventricosa , a Cephalotus, Pinguicula ‘Aphrodite’ (A Mexican Ping), and Drosera capensis , graomogolensis and regia. As you can see, none of the plants I own are too difficult and I’m still a beginner so don’t take my word like an expert’s

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!