FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Announcements, as well as comments and suggestions about the FlytrapCare Forum itself. For all Forum members.

Moderator: Matt

By leiter1212
I got my royal red vft in the mail today it was pitiful. Almost all the traps are dead and the mouths are all closed. I hope I can revive them with proper care what a waste of my money. DONT BUY ANYTHING FROM WWW.BUGBITINGPLANTS.COM
By Matt
Sorry to hear about your order not meeting your expectations. All the traps being closed is normal. It's just something that happens anytime a VFT is shipped. Dead traps, on the other hand, aren't normal. I'd like to see a photo of it when you get a chance.
By leiter1212
Sadly sir I have no camra but one trap is very long and not deep red its yellowish red the other 2 traps are black from trap to rizhome. However the rizhome itself is nice crisp and white. So I belive that with some care and sunlight the plant might bounce back I do not think I can give this plant a dormancy it looks pretty weak. I dont know if I will be able to tell any health improvements if I do dormancy cause I would need to see some new growth. Also this plant will be in shock for sure if it doesnt just up and totally die that is. All of this will lead to slow growth so I think maybe I should keep this one inside this winter with a grow light perhaps when it gets cold what do u think?
By Matt
Many of the red varieties have fewer leaves than do the green varieties, so having very few traps might not be an issue. As long as you don't keep the plant too wet over the winter, I'd guess that it will make it through fine. Since the rhizome looked good, I think the plant will recover.

If it were my plant, I'd probably give it dormancy, but you can experiment with putting it under lights if you want. You could keep it under lights for a month and see if it puts out new growth and then give it dormancy...
By dionaea muscipula
well sorry to here that my plant came the same with only 2 traps and only one worked sorrry to here that man i feel wat you feel
By kevinqwe
well thats why you have to do some research first. i dont think going on a online plant shopping spree is a good idea
By doku
leiter1212 wrote:Sadly sir I have no camra but one trap is very long and not deep red its yellowish red the other 2 traps are black from trap to rizhome. However the rizhome itself is nice crisp and white. So I belive that with some care and sunlight the plant might bounce back I do not think I can give this plant a dormancy it looks pretty weak. I dont know if I will be able to tell any health improvements if I do dormancy cause I would need to see some new growth. Also this plant will be in shock for sure if it doesnt just up and totally die that is. All of this will lead to slow growth so I think maybe I should keep this one inside this winter with a grow light perhaps when it gets cold what do u think?
I would probably give it dormancy, if the rhizome looks healthy it should make it through the winter as long as it doesnt freeze. Just to be on the safe side this winter. If you dont want your money to go to waste, i would take a leaf pulling and grow that under lights. Even though your plant isnt that healthy and possibly in shock, theres a possibility that it can take and that way you either end up with one plant by next year, or you have 2.
By lil_mike227
i feel your pain i oredr from them too and the plants were awful but they pulled through i just let them sit outside in the sunnyies spot all day and they pulled though :D
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as w[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!