FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By frankgrimes087
Hello everyone, was just wondering if this looks like mite damage on one of my flytraps? There are also lots of parts on the flytrap that looks like something has been eating on it? The thing is that when I inspect the plant I cant find anything moving... I live in Arizona and it is very hot at the moment with temperatures between 105-108 degrees, so i am also wondering if heat has something to do with all of this? My plants always have plenty of water and they are in really good shade. I do have avid that I can spray on them if it is absolutely necessary... Do you guys think that this plant is even worth keeping? I have attached a photo and any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Attachments:
damageresize.jpg
damageresize.jpg (2.56 MiB) Viewed 2827 times
By frankgrimes087
Thanks Matt! You are always very helpful much appreciated as always! I have bio advance 3-1 that I usually use and it seems to work for the most part so will see what happens! Mites are sure a pain... I usually only get them in the summer.
By Matt
Yes, for sure, mites are the most annoying pest for Venus flytraps. We typically get an outbreak once or twice a year here. I haven't seen any yet this spring, but there is some sort of pest damaging my mother pot of Low Giants, so I'm going to spray everything today. I haven't sprayed since last fall (I think?) so it's time. Usually, we can only go about 6 months before having some sort of pest problem, so we're way overdue for a good spraying of insecticide/miticide mix that I use.
By frankgrimes087
They truly are! When you spray your plants, will you only spray them once, or will you eventually do it again in like a week or 2? Or does it just depend on how bad the damage is? Because I sprayed my plants on Sunday and wondering if I should do it again. Some of the plants didn't look like they had any mite damage but I sprayed them anyways just to be safe.
By Big-Jack
I would spray them once a week for a month and then monthly after that as a preventative. Bayer 3in1 is actually absorbed by the plant making itself poisonous to pests that come along later. That is why you don't want to use it on vegetable plants. You could spray it on a small tomato plant in the spring and the tomatoes you harvest in late summer would still contain toxins that could make you ill.
frankgrimes087 liked this
By kato_stud25
Matt wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:51 pm Yes, for sure, mites are the most annoying pest for Venus flytraps. We typically get an outbreak once or twice a year here. I haven't seen any yet this spring, but there is some sort of pest damaging my mother pot of Low Giants, so I'm going to spray everything today. I haven't sprayed since last fall (I think?) so it's time. Usually, we can only go about 6 months before having some sort of pest problem, so we're way overdue for a good spraying of insecticide/miticide mix that I use.
Matt I'm going to be doing some spraying myself this week using Bayer 3in1 most of my plants are all together or really close by should I just spray them all just to be sure?
By Matt
kato_stud25 wrote:Matt I'm going to be doing some spraying myself this week using Bayer 3in1 most of my plants are all together or really close by should I just spray them all just to be sure?
Yes, I always spray all my plants when I treat them. That ensures that if the pests have spread to or are just colonizing a plant that looks healthy, that they too will be eliminated.
By kato_stud25
Matt wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:46 am
kato_stud25 wrote:Matt I'm going to be doing some spraying myself this week using Bayer 3in1 most of my plants are all together or really close by should I just spray them all just to be sure?
Yes, I always spray all my plants when I treat them. That ensures that if the pests have spread to or are just colonizing a plant that looks healthy, that they too will be eliminated.
Thanks. It's my first time needing to spray for any pests so just wanting to get it done right

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!