FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By satosj
I have a flower stalk growing on my sarracenia Purpurea and it is about 35 cm tall. If i plant the seeds immeadiatly will they need stratification. Oh and since it is late summer where i am, would it still be ok if i tried to srprout the seeds in autumn inside my greenhouse?
I tried to post pictures here but it keeps on saying that my file is to big, even when i have 1 picture. I really would like to share my photos, so i will keep on trying.
By sekler
Fresh seeds will germinate more than old seeds in any situaion. For sarrs in general they do need stratification for 4-6 weeks (in my case, fresh seeds germinated pretty much as much over the 4 and 6 weeks period).

Stratification helps them germinating faster and less erratically (some will germinate within days, others over weeks and sometimes months or never). It doesn't mean that they won't work, I'm sure some will but if you want to be on the safe side i'd do it. After all you are trying to mimic the change of seasons like it happens in nature.

Good luck!
sekler liked this
By jht-union
I would agree that the seeds need stratification, a month should do it, but if you do it for 3 months or 2, then germination will be faster, i ahve germinate sarra seeds, they took if not wrong about a week to germinate after 3 month stratification.

If not mistaken, in nature they send the flowers in spring, and the seeds explode from the flower by summer, some sprout but, it is normally late summer when the seeds touch the soil, so stratification begins all fall and winter, and then germinating in spring. good luck!
By satosj
Thanks everyone! Well in that case i hope that the seeds will be ready in the start of winter, but i doubt it. It is so close to the end of summer and next i have autumn and i might have the seeds ready in the middle of autumn. Would it be fine if i put the seeds in stratification for 4 or 5 months? Will they sprout while they are in the fridge? Do they have to be in the vege crisper? Can i put the in an icecream container with sphagnum moss?
Oh and actually it is my Sarracenia Leucophlla that has the flower, not my sarracenis Purpurea. Does it still need stratification?
The Sarracenia leucophylla has flowered late in middle of the summer!
By BradR
satosj:

Sarracenia require a cold, wet stratification. 4-5 months is not too long, but 8 weeks is probably all that is necessary. One option is to collect the seeds in late summer, then refrigerate them dry in a sealed container. You can then start the wet part of the stratification whenever you like. Chopped sphagnum (live or dead) works well. You can even use an inert medium like moist paper towel in a ziplock bag. Fungus often will be a problem during stratification. You can check them every week or so and treat with fungicide if needed. I have used Daconil (Chlorothionil) and sulfur based fungicides on seeds in stratification with good results.

Good Luck,
Brad
BradR liked this
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!