FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By idog24
I live in southern Canada and the winters get down to -10 here sometimes. I have my venus flytrap going through dormancy in my unheated garage, which I imagine, stays relatively close to freezing most of the winter time. I have it near a window so it can still receive the natural lighting cycle, but it never gets full sun through that window. Does it matter that it doesnt get full sun at all during dormancy? Like I said it stays fairly cold and my venus flytrap stops growing entirely. I've even heard that in extreme dormancies, where photosynthetic processes nearly come to a complete halt, direct sunlight can even burn the petioles. I would like to know where the truth lies in this matter. Thanks!
By Matt
It's likely that with the temperatures you're describing the flytrap won't try to grow at all. If it does and you notice thin, spindly leaves growing, then you'll want to either supplement the lighting or move it to a sunnier location.
idog24 liked this
By tommyr
Mine have been getting fridge dormancy for 13 years now. So obviously they don't get any light during dormancy. They grow just fine come spring and I've never lost a flytrap. No issues at all.

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!