FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Kurblius
I've read that you can chuck a Venus Fly Trap in the fridge and it'll do fine, but if I put a Sarracenia in the garage will I have to provide it with light over the winter?
By ChefDean
I also put mine in my unheated garage over winter. Where I live doesn't get as cold as where Xanthoparmelia lives, and my garage doesn't have a window either.
This year, I put them back outside when the temperature stayed above 40°F, and they took off.
Two of my Sarrs are actually from Xanthoparmelia, and those two are in my top three Sarrs for just exploding.
Leave them outside until they have a couple nights in the mid 30's, maybe even a light frost. Put them in the garage until your temps stay above 35°F, then back outside.
Spring can be temperamental, so watch the weather and don't let them freeze while they're trying to wake up. Bring them in for the night if you have to, and you'll have some happy plants.
By Kurblius
Thanks for the advice. Live in Canada, so it gets too cold here in January, February. If I leave them outside, they will die. If I bring it in, it will sprout. Baffled as to what to do at the moment about dormancy. Might have to get a space heater or something for my garage but the heating bill would be substantial.
By optique
Someone pretty far north in CA said they cover plants with a thick layer of pine needles with a tarp on top and another layer of mulch on top of the tarp.

I am in zone 8b so i can not be sure that works but i remember reading someone was doing that. knowing how mulch can stay hot from microbial activity even when its freezing outside, i don't see why it wouldn't work.

but to the topic no they don't need light =)
By Matt
Where do you live in Canada and what species of Sarracenia are you growing? Most can take quite cold temperatures and some are native to Canada! You might be able to grow them outside all year, depending on your location and species of choice.
By Kurblius
I live on Ottawa. I have 4. I have S. Purpurea which is tolerant to extreme cold, but it's a seedling. The others are S. 'Scarlet belle', which is a cross between S. Leucophylla and S. Psittacina, S. Minor, and S. 'Juthatip Soper', which is a cross between a pink S. Leucophylla and S. Purpurea.
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!