FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
I've got a friend who is getting Yescom 225 lights for his plant rack. Various sources list the distance from the plants as 5 to 14 inches. If you use them, how far are they from the plants and what type of plants are they? I would expect that you would put the lights farther away from a nep then a flytrap.
By Supercazzola
I’m not exactly sure, but since I recently bought 1 yescom for these experimental ping pumice rock fountains, I thought I’d answer. First yescom arrived and worked for 2 days, then stopped. I got them to send me another, which arrived with the PCB crushed and cracked in a corner. They refunded me. I managed to isolate the issue with the first one and reflowed the solder and now it works. With the refunded money, I purchased a second (now third) unit and it arrived fine and works well. The damaged PCB on the replacement unit had no ill effects on the light. So now I have three for the price of one.
The headache was over 6 weeks to resolve. In the end, your “friend” should ask themselves if buying the cheaper lights is worth the headaches. My lights sit above the pings by about 13 inches, but I have 3 so my thought is they are getting sufficient PPFD. Don’t let the auto exposure setting on the iPad fool you, these things are BRIGHT.
image.jpg
image.jpg (3.58 MiB) Viewed 7316 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (3.73 MiB) Viewed 7316 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (3.43 MiB) Viewed 7316 times
MaxVft liked this
By eriction
@Supercazzola curious to hear how the pings are doing. I'm planning a rack and thinking about yescoms and want to make sure they're bright enough to make pings blush .

Also curious as to how hot these yescoms get. My challenge is I have a rack of aquariums that will go above where the lights are and don't want to heat up my tanks too much.
By Supercazzola
They are doing well for me. Please excuse the dog fur.
I mixed two white 225s and one blue/red 225.
image.jpg
image.jpg (3.8 MiB) Viewed 6869 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (3.79 MiB) Viewed 6869 times
The lights really don’t get too hot. I have them about 8-10 inches above the rocks. Like I said, I have three, but before this the two or even one white light was doing well. I only got multiple ones because one was damaged (I fixed it) and the other had poor quality control (I resoldered the connections and all was well).
Last edited by Supercazzola on Sun May 23, 2021 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
By eriction
@Supercazzola, thanks for the quick response, glad to hear they are doing well. In this case I will likely go for the yescoms, looks like your pings are doing well and blushing a nice pink.

I assume the rock experiment is going well too?
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!