FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
I finally got around to taking some photos of my 'Alien' Venus fly trap and I created a page here on FlytrapCare for the official cultivar:
Dionaea 'Alien' Venus fly trap

This is my first growing season with it and I'm really liking this plant. The traps are much larger than I thought they'd be. The teeth on it look awesome. The crazy number of little trigger hairs at the bottom of each trap are really cool.

Below are some photos I took. Enjoy!
Matt, Matt, Matt and 3 others liked this
By dantt99
That's a very nice Alien! Any idea if/when it will be TC'ed and auctioned/sold?
By markus13
WOW! I want one! When might they be available. It's got that bean shaped "alien" head, that is just too cool!
By Daniel_G
As i said last time i saw this Imagine that impaling power!

As the other Daniel said, when are you likely to be TC'ing it? And if you do, let me know to start saving fo a culture of it :D
By FBIMOBSTER
Man Matt the traps are BIG and the teeth look WICKiD!! :o Some of the BEST pics. of the Alien I've seen! I'VE GOT TO GET ONE!!! GREAT PICS. Matt +++++
By Nats
That's a really cool looking FT.
I love everything about it ;)

And yes, I want one too!! :)
By Nats
Who sells these?
Did you get this one from eBay?
By jht-union
I'm impressed, it looks really like an alien, i like it. :)

Nats wrote:Who sells these?
Not sure, but i think most of the VFT's Matt has is because he does private businesses with other VFT cultivators around the world, trading i guess. But Matt knows who to contact to get the info so that he can contact the one that has the real VFT, and there you go this is how i think Matt obtains freaky VFT's like VFT alien! :)
By Matt
Thanks everyone for the comments!
dantt99 wrote:Any idea if/when it will be TC'ed and auctioned/sold?
markus13 wrote:When might they be available.
Dubstep13 wrote:thats a nice plant, when will it be available?
Daniel_G wrote:when are you likely to be TC'ing it?
Hah, sounds like an echo chamber on this thread :) I'm trying to get it in TC as soon as possible, as I do with all clones that I know many people will want. I hope to do so this year, but I haven't had success yet. This is the only plant I have, so there isn't a lot of tissue to work with and I don't want to cut too many leaves off of it. I've already cut two really nice ones off. The good news is that even though I haven't gotten this clone into TC yet, I have gotten lots of other really nice clones in TC this spring, so you all will have plenty of other things to add to your collection while waiting for an 'Alien' :D
Nats wrote:Who sells these?
No, no one in the US sells this clone yet. I got it in a trade with the European grower who registered it with the ICPS.
jht-union wrote:Not sure, but i think most of the VFT's Matt has is because he does private businesses with other VFT cultivators around the world, trading i guess.
Yes, that's right. Most of my plants originate through trades. I usually try to "go to the source" (i.e. the person that registered it) to get the clones I like that aren't available in the US.
Matt liked this
By jht-union
Matt wrote:Yes, that's right. Most of my plants originate through trades. I usually try to "go to the source" (i.e. the person that registered it) to get the clones I like that aren't available in the US.
I'm glad i was right! :)

It would be great if i can get a hold of a weird VFT like Alien, i have a relative(sister) that is traveling in europe, do you by any chance have anyone in Rome, italy who has weird VFT's like alien? How about germany(Potsdam)? aditionally i have a relative in Potsdam germany who works for the Leibniz Institute of Plant Genetics and Crop Plant Research, which knows about VFT's and have worked with them before( i was told) so i'm finally going to have a conversation with him when my sist reaches Potsdam in late july! as far as i know he knows people that grows VFT's (it would make sense if he works for that institute :lol: )! I doubt my sist will help, but i won't lose anything trying, what if i can really get a hold of some, or seeds! :)
By Matt
jht-union wrote:It would be great if i can get a hold of a weird VFT like Alien, i have a relative(sister) that is traveling in europe, do you by any chance have anyone in Rome, italy who has weird VFT's like alien? How about germany(Potsdam)?
Sorry, but can't say I know anyone in either location.
By Jaws
Awesome pics, i really like the Alien cultivar.
By victor
Nice pics! they look so kool
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!