FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Lucy
Ok I picked up a couple of these cute guys at Lowe's. Don't know what kind. Whatever kind Lowe's sells :lol:

If I'm reading correctly, they have a dormancy period. Is this right? If so, is it crucial that they go through it? The reason I'm asking is that these guys are pretty small and I've only had them out of their death cubes a few days. I am reluctant to chuck them outside for dormancy.

Of note, I have an open aquarium with the Darlintonia, Neps and some orchids. The aquarium is to protect them from my mean cat. It's in front of a large SW facing window. There is a CFL over them. They get lots of air. In the bottom of the aquarium, i have some glass pebbles and water up to the level of the top of the pebbles. All of my plants are out of the water except the Darlingonias. Their pots are resting on the pebbles. They seem very happy like that and have been doing a lot of growing.

So back to my question. Do they need to have a dormancy or can they stay inside this year while they grow, and go outside next year.

Geography: Southeast North Carolina

Thanks! :D
By girlzano167
You probably will want to skip dormancy this year. If you just got it, it is probably still acclimating so putting it into dormancy would put a lot of stress on the plant.

The only thing I don't really know about is how to grow these inside since they should be grown outside.
By Matt
Lucy wrote:If I'm reading correctly, they have a dormancy period. Is this right? If so, is it crucial that they go through it? The reason I'm asking is that these guys are pretty small and I've only had them out of their death cubes a few days. I am reluctant to chuck them outside for dormancy.
Yes, they have a dormancy period. I actually live about an hour from where Darlingtonia grow in nature. It gets quite cold in the winter and frequently drops below freezing. How cold does it get where you live? If it doesn't get below 20°F, they'd probably be fine outside.
Lucy wrote:So back to my question. Do they need to have a dormancy or can they stay inside this year while they grow, and go outside next year.
Yes, they need to have a dormancy. Any time a plant is native to a temperate location, they're going to need a dormancy period. Not providing it for them will eventually kill the plant.
By Lucy
Where I am, it only gets down to freezing a few nights a year. Less than 20, very very rarely.

Ok out they go to live with the VFTs and the picher plants, under the milk crates (critters). Blah, I'll miss them :cry:
By Matt
Lucy wrote:Ok out they go to live with the VFTs and the picher plants, under the milk crates (critters). Blah, I'll miss them :cry:
Good idea keeping them under the crates. Everyone that grows their plants outside without any protection eventually has something happen to their plants.

And I totally understand what you mean about missing them, but just remember that they'll be healthier and happier outside :)
Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Ah, an Xtreem "purpurea". My favorite nu[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

This was pulled out of dormancy last week. I did n[…]

Not what you would expect...

Why, the portion cup in front of the binata in the[…]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!