FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Eric
Hey guys,
I was wondering if any of you guys has any experience with Darlingtonia and growing them successfully.If so please tell me how you take care of them I'm planning to get one from http://www.californiacarnivores.com/thecobraplant.aspx.

Thanks guys you rule!

~Eric
By linton
I'm currently cold stratifying Darlingtonia seed, I'd be interested to hear how other people manage to grow them too.
By Pat
Hi Eric, I do not grow any Darlingtonia but have researched them quite a bit. They can be treated like a Sarracunia but their roots must be kept cool. A good book to read about them is the savage garden by Peter D'amato.
Hope this helps, Pat.
By hackerberry
I'm growing some right now. Pat is correct, you need to keep the roots cool all the time. I'm my case here in Canada, there's no problem. But if you live in a warm climate place, the technique is to use an aquarium air pump to the water where you have your cobra plant sitting.

hb
By linton
How do you use the air pump?
By Eric
Hb how do you grow your plants and do you grow the coastal variety or the mountain variety?
By hackerberry
@linton - submerge the hose end with airstone to the water/saucer where you place the cobra plant. Aeration of the water will cool the roots of the cobras.
@eric - I believe I'm growing the coastal variety.

hb
By Aging_Bourbon
Eric wrote:Hey guys,
I was wondering if any of you guys has any experience with Darlingtonia and growing them successfully.If so please tell me how you take care of them I'm planning to get one from http://www.californiacarnivores.com/thecobraplant.aspx.

Thanks guys you rule!

~Eric
there are two kinds of Darlingtonia the "Coastal" and the "Mountain" verity the coastal one is difficult to care for.. the mountain one is the easyist but yet still challenging.. they like warm days followed by cool nights if your day time temp goes over 90 its has to have cool nights below 65F the soil i use is 1part peat moss 1 part perlite 1 part pumice and 1 part orchid bark. note that soil aeration is very important for the plant the plant should be watered daily do not let it set in standing water make sure to use cool water like they do in the wild but its cold spring water that flows over them.. another reason to use cool water is that so the soil won't over heat Darlingtonia dont like warm soil. like always use pure water or distilled water when watering your plant. the best pot to use is one that is short and wide i usually use a cat litter box but i drill hole on the bottom so they water will go out. also give them full sun 6 or more hours of direct sun light.. if you want anymore tips about there care either winter or pre-potting just ask me.i hope this helps Eric

Allen,
Not what you would expect...

Is it behind the seedling cup of drosera capensis […]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!