FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By thndmn
Just seeking a bit of advice about these seeds. I received a packet of them as a free gift with my most recent order, and until then I actually hadn't looked at the Cobra plant much. (When I saw the name on the seed packet, I was thinking "What kind of plant are these???") Well I've done a little bit of checking and can't believe I hadn't bothered before, as these look very interesting.

First off, I'm curious if these seeds are ones that need to be planted sooner rather than later if I expect decent germination rates, or if I can hold off for a while. (Plant space in my home is a rather precious commodity ATM. I'm sure I'm not the only one with that problem ;))

From what I've read it's my understanding that these seeds grow best in mostly pure sphagnum or a mix of sphagnum, peat and perlite, just double checking this is correct, or if I'm missing some specifics?

Last question (for now), I've also understood that these do grow rather slowly from seeds, again just double checking this is correct.
By Matt
thndmn wrote:First off, I'm curious if these seeds are ones that need to be planted sooner rather than later if I expect decent germination rates, or if I can hold off for a while.
Darlingtonia seed stores quite well in the fridge for a long time. But as is the case with most seeds, the sooner you sow them, the better.
thndmn wrote:From what I've read it's my understanding that these seeds grow best in mostly pure sphagnum or a mix of sphagnum, peat and perlite, just double checking this is correct, or if I'm missing some specifics?
That's correct. Long fiber sphagnum seems to be a good medium for Darlingtonia. They also seem to grow OK in peat, perlite/sand mixes.
thndmn wrote:I've also understood that these do grow rather slowly from seeds, again just double checking this is correct.
That is also correct :)
By Starchy
Matt wrote:
thndmn wrote:I've also understood that these do grow rather slowly from seeds, again just double checking this is correct.
That is also correct :)
Because of this, most growers keep the seedlings in the same pot for the first couple years of growth. Make sure you sow your seeds in a container that you will be happy with for a while.
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!