Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By Trapper Kay
Photo of one of my D. regia.
Attachments:
99E02031-65CB-4F48-A30B-587E48ABE9FD.jpeg
99E02031-65CB-4F48-A30B-587E48ABE9FD.jpeg (692.34 KiB) Viewed 3212 times
By Ping
Very nice. Regia has forever been on the attempt list but $40 for a coin flip hurts to think about.
By Trapper Kay
Ping wrote:Very nice. Regia has forever been on the attempt list but $40 for a coin flip hurts to think about.
Grown indoors is fairly easy. I’m a new grower so if I can do it, I’m sure anyone can. These were from seed purchased through a reputable grower
By Huntsmanshorn
Ping wrote:Very nice. Regia has forever been on the attempt list but $40 for a coin flip hurts to think about.
With a little care and attention seed is the way to go, no question.
By Ping
Huntsmanshorn wrote:
Is there a certain time to look for seeds? How does the cost compare to an actual seedling?
By Trapper Kay
Ping wrote:
Huntsmanshorn wrote:
Is there a certain time to look for seeds? How does the cost compare to an actual seedling?
There’s not really. I just germinated 10 more regias that were from seeds I got last year and they germinated faster than the first time strangely. Cost is way cheaper. I believe you can get 10 seeds at 10$
By SundewWolf
I also recommend getting seeds since there seems to be some variability among them. I received 10 seeds a while ago, picked the strongest/biggest two to repot and now they grow in my basement with none of the issues I had trying to grow regia in the past. They reached adult size in about a year and a half.
By Ping
SundewWolf wrote:I also recommend getting seeds since there seems to be some variability among them. I received 10 seeds a while ago, picked the strongest/biggest two to repot and now they grow in my basement with none of the issues I had trying to grow regia in the past. They reached adult size in about a year and a half.
Sadly, after doing some quick reading I read that temps above 85F tend to trigger dormancy for these guys. All my lighting is in a garage that gets up to 90F this time of year and I only have a West facing windowsill to grow indoors which I'd believe wouldn't be enough to germinate these guys.

This might be my final reason to setup an indoor space in a closet for my SA sundews..
By Trapper Kay
Ping wrote:
SundewWolf wrote:I also recommend getting seeds since there seems to be some variability among them. I received 10 seeds a while ago, picked the strongest/biggest two to repot and now they grow in my basement with none of the issues I had trying to grow regia in the past. They reached adult size in about a year and a half.
Sadly, after doing some quick reading I read that temps above 85F tend to trigger dormancy for these guys. All my lighting is in a garage that gets up to 90F this time of year and I only have a West facing windowsill to grow indoors which I'd believe wouldn't be enough to germinate these guys.

This might be my final reason to setup an indoor space in a closet for my SA sundews..
If you use the water test tube method, light isn’t really needed. Mine germinate in a test tube filled halfway with distilled water. I keep the test tube in a little shot glass on my desk which gets no light really as there is no windows near by.
Repotting carnivorous plants

Looks OK to me. Where did you get you Cobra Lily? […]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!