FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By ironman12123
Hey everyone, my d.capensis white version ha black tip at the end of it, even before they are even done growing, what's the problem here? I do everything right, water tray, lighting. I don't understand why they're doing that. Help?
By dantt99
Do you have a picture available? That would help :)...
By ironman12123
Here's one picture
Attachments:
image-01
image-01
HPIM0757.JPG (131.64 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
By dantt99
Hmm, that's very odd. I can't tell you what that is.... Maybe someone else has experience. It's weird, but the rest of the leaves (dewy part) looks great! :D
By David F
You clearly have a mutant plant, don't let it near any radioactive material, nor should you feed it more than a fly a month. It will probably betray you in your sleep, and kill you and digest you, followed by the rest of your family. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this.
By Steve_D
I agree with Manzano167; the plant seems to be simply responding to different conditions than those it was accustomed to or those it might prefer.

The leaf tips of Drosera capensis often become dry if they were accustomed to shadier or more humid conditions, and then experience hotter, drier or more intensely sunny conditions. They seem to like less direct sunlight than Venus Flytraps, and flourish in bright indirect light with perhaps the direct light of early morning or late afternoon sun, but not midday sun.

At any rate, it's just a temporary thing. The plant may adjust to the different conditions, or you can give it a slightly more shaded position, or take it out of a dry-air draft (like a heater-duct draft) if it is exposed to one.

Looks nice! :)
Steve_D, Steve_D liked this
By linton
It looks as though your soil is a bit dry as it is shrinking away from the edge of your pot and the burnt tips of the leaves tend to indicate that the plant is suffering from either moisture stress or mineral burn - what is the white crust on the soil around the rim of your pot?
linton liked this
By snapperhead51
yes I was wondering about that too Linton is tap water being use here ??and salt build up ?? or is its strata residue !!, some times if the potting mix it not mixed correctly with sphag peat the mix will not retain moisture properly and not draw up the moisture the plant needs, could this be the case here all so !!
J
snapperhead51 liked this
By victor
Also, it should be grown in full sun which might be a reason for the black tips.

P.S. Your drosera is Drosera capensis "alba" not white leaf.
By ironman12123
I grow it under my flourscent light. I ALWAYS use distilled water. I don't know about the mix, I haven't changed it yet
By snapperhead51
Hi well looks like its not getting enough light really , and may be could do with a re pot of nice fresh mix ,sarra mix is good 60% sphagnum peat and 40% washed silica sand or close to that , see if you can get TE-EM peat too will have less hassles ok !! ,if you want to know how to get all that ready and sorted let me know , if that is not possible think you may need to flush the mix in that pot but , taking the pot out in a open place and just pouring good rain water from the top and letting it flush through,this may take up to and exceed several days of flushing up to 4 or 5 times a day !! , to get a lot of what I feel may be build up of unwanted minerals in that mix do it slowly so you dont damage the cape !!one tip if the water just flows striate through the pot then you know that there was not enough water being soaked up by the mix and may indicate to enough water being used too!! if the mix is soaked properly the flushing water will not rush our of the bottom of the pot , remember your mix for sun dews and sarras should be very damp to all most wet depending on time of year and your location in the world mine are very wet all year round because of our climate hot and dry !!, the white stuff on the top should not be there and indicates a build up of some sort !!, but a re -pot is best every 2 to 3 years any how or the mix become stale ,smelly , sometime toxic , and get build up of unwanted minerals , that plants will not cope with , ok if you need any more info let me know ok
J
snapperhead51 liked this
Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!