FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By afh928
So, i think i have a pretty good handle on the situation but i thought i would reach out and get some firm advice anyway. I will have some d. capensis seeds in the next couple days and i will be starting them immediately.

Here is what i am planning to do as of right now. I have 2 6" pots that i will be germinating them in. I am planning on germinating them outside with my other CPs...however...the pots will be in indirect sunlight instead of full-on like the rest of the CPs (i have a white t-shirt that i cut up and i use that as a shade cloth). Both pots are in a watering tray, it is a bit shallow but i will make sure it stays full during germination), and will stay moist. They will be in a spot that gets sun LITERALLY all day (i have spent LOTS of time making sure the spots i keep my CPs in are 100% optimal), and im pretty sure they will stay warm enough even with the "shade cloth". Once they get a bit bigger and grow a few good leaves i assume i should remove the cloth and get them into full sun!

Let me know if there are any holes in my plan, i want to do it right..and i think my plan is good, but you guys' input ALWAYS helps. Ok, more than helps lol..its been essential to my success so far. Thanks guys! :mrgreen:

Let me know ASAP, the seeds will be here any day now!!!

Aaron
By tael
Humidity usually means faster germination, capensis are pretty tough and will come up either way, but I find it faster when you get them as close to 100% humidity as you can. So perhaps if you have a clear cap for the cups, or saran wrap, I might suggest doing that. =)
By afh928
yeah, i will probably cover them with some manner of plastic..especially since they will be in filtered light for germination. Good lookin' out, thanks!
By nealfor
Both of my D. Capensis are putting up flower scapes... so if for some reason yours don't work out let me know, i'll have some extras. I doubt you will have any issues, I have volunteer D. Capensis seedlings in several pots... they germinate pretty easily.
By afh928
I will let you know man, thanks! I think they will do fine, as long as the seeds are good. Maybe keep some aside for me just in case, lol.
By weirdscience
D. capensis is the easiest cp to grow once you get it started it will become a weed they will grow in a wide variety of environments there is a bog on the Mendocino coast of California where people started adding cp in the early 70’s the capensis has spread all through the area even in areas that get very dry by mid summer and also floating in small pools of water and everywhere in between it is an invasive weed. Give it the right soil and sunlight and it will grow.
Craig
By afh928
right on man, i think its gonna work out!
N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!