FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Dkhoang1102
I couldn't help and bought myself this D. Burmannii Humpty Doo 2 months ago because it was so beautiful, yet it's my first Drosera, so I have no idea what I should do with the 2 flower stalks I'm having right now (The focus in the photo is very bad, sorry >.< just to give an idea of how tall the stalks already are.)

I read somewhere and people say the stalks should be cut in order for the plant to live longer, or leave only 1 stalk (once in a while I see the white flowers start to come out, but the next day they disappear :cry:). But some other sources say I can leave them there as long as I feed the plant a lot. I'm so confused :( Does anyone have any experience with this?
Attachments:
IMG_7911.JPG
IMG_7911.JPG (674.77 KiB) Viewed 5617 times
By Fishkeeper
The flowers open, one at a time, for only a few hours. That's why they disappear, they've closed up already. You have to be lucky to get a look at them.
By fattytuna
In the wild, this species is an annual with the plant dying after it flowers. In cultivation, it can be grown as a perennial if you pinch out the flower stalks early in their development. If your growing conditions are ideal, the plants life can also be extended if you feed it continually, even if it flowers.

In this situation, the stalk is already too mature to cut. You will get thousands of seeds which are easy to germinate when fresh. Try feeding the plant with insects or powdered betta pellets every few leaves to see if it recovers after flowering. if not, then start again with seed - this species matures very fast.
By CandyCane
Well im confused because one person said to cut it and the other said leave it not to mention i keep googling how to procure amd get the seeds where even do they grow from and come out at. I cannot find any info on this part only how to procure "sundew seeds" in general as theyre are 194 diff. Species this don't help me please help!!!!
Attachments:
One of two
One of two
20190530_185815.jpg (3.49 MiB) Viewed 5160 times
By CandyCane
Shouls i move the baby i really want to make lots more once some1 can tell me how to properly get the seeds how fast can i plant them?
Attachments:
When i ordered this one a baby hitchhiked on his back any advice to keep them healthy should i seperate them?
When i ordered this one a baby hitchhiked on his back any advice to keep them healthy should i seperate them?
20190530_185820.jpg (3.21 MiB) Viewed 5157 times
By twitcher
I have let several flower stalks mature on my Humpty Doo, but one at a time, so that I get seeds. Feed it weekly with some small amounts on at least one leaf. I use small fruit flies and often do two or 3 on different leaves. Mine starts to go greenish when I don't feed it enough.

Lower flowers on the stalk mature seeds while the upper flowers are still being produced and opening, so I use scissors to cut the top tip of the flower stalk off when it has had about 20 or so flowers. That way I stop seed production of top flowers and let the bottom flowers mature their seed. Collect the whole seed stalk when you see that no more flowers are opening and the flowers are starting to darken along with the seed stalk. By that time, there should be many ripe seeds ready to spill and you should be careful to put a sheet of white paper under the seed stalk when you cut it. (white lets you see the seeds easier). Some of the seeds will likely have fallen to whatever is below them by the time you cut the stalk if you have timed it right. Let the whole thing dry on the paper a few days, then you can gently rub the dried flowers and sort the debree on the paper to find the tiny seeds.

I would not transplant the baby. Since you are new with sundews, you would risk killing both plants and might also cover any other previous seeds that hitchhiked with the plants. Be sure to feed the baby.

Also, cut the seed stalk off of the plant in the second picture and let the seeds develop on the plant in the first picture. You can compare how the do that way. The seed stalk in the first picture is still very young and should grow many more flowers. The one in the second picture has barely started and can be safely removed.
twitcher liked this
By bananaman
If you feed them plenty, flowering isn’t an issue. My current adult burmannii I’ve flowered many times (they’re a year old now, and have basically been in bloom continuously since they were 5 months old) and they’re fine (albeit a bit small because they haven’t gotten as much food as they should). I usually repot at around this age, but that’s not necessary. I’ve had burmannii live over 2 years in the past, but I ended up giving those to someone, so idk how long they lasted.

The other advantage of frequent food is the seeds you get are larger and easier to germinate.
bananaman liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!