FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By zoliky
I have a lot of D. aliciae and D. capensis seedlings and I'm running out of space under the lights, I already have 30 pots and the windowsill is not a solution for me. Is it possible to put more seedlings in a single pot as temporary solution? I was thinking on putting 9 aliciae seedlings per pot with 1" distance between the seedlings. Is that okay for these sundew species? Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you!
By Shelilla
Both species are quite tough and would probably do fine together.
As far as sundews go, too, they seem to be fine with being crowded. My D. burmannii seedlings accidentally got stuck in an enormous cluster from my "spreading" of the seeds and did fine for months. Happened with a couple of different species in my pots too and of course the occasional random seed in the wrong pot and they all do well.
I'd say it just depends on their size now and how fast they've been growing. I unintentionally killed off a lot of my seedlings in the past by feeding them too much and the mold spread over the cluster and killed them all off. As long as you don't do that they should be fine. 1" is plenty of room to grow.
Hope I helped!
By ice2k15
wouldnt u wanna keep the capensis seperate for the fact it doesnt go into dormancy and when the others did the conditions would be unfavorable for those dormancy months?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
By Shelilla
ice2k15 wrote:wouldnt u wanna keep the capensis seperate for the fact it doesnt go into dormancy and when the others did the conditions would be unfavorable for those dormancy months?

Ah right, good point. I forgot about dormancy since I've gotten used to growing species that don't.
Very true, thinking about that I'd say then to just put as many of one species in a pot and as many in another as possible.
By ice2k15
Fishman wrote:Thankfully, neither of those require dormancy and can be kept together ;-)
i knew capensis didnt so thanks for teaching me something :)

By Fishkeeper
Carnivorous plants are fine being crowded because they don't compete for nutrients in the soil. If they can all reach the light, they don't really care about being crowded, they just grow maybe a smidge slower. Capensis, in particular, are incredibly hard to kill.
Fishkeeper liked this
By Tryner78
Fishkeeper wrote: Capensis, in particular, are incredibly hard to kill.
And tokaiensis/spatulata complex plants. It's a nice surprise to find them occasionally.
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!