FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Daniel P
Hi all, bit of a newbie here with some questions. As some of you may know I received some gemmae of P. Grandiflora and was wondering about ways to propagate them. I have heard of leaf pullings and would like more info on how to do it and what to root them in. Also some of them are beginning to show signs of flowers I believe and I wanted to know if I can pollinate them together if they are gemmae from the same plant. (Self fertile or sterile?). Hopefully tomorrow I will be ordering a set of heated propagators (a heated base with four small propagators on it) and I have just ordered some sphagnum moss, would these be OK for rooting leaf pullings?

As for cultivation I was wondering if these pings are hardy in an unheated "frame with plastic cover" type greenhouse.(I live in SE England by the way) The lows at night at the moment are 8-9C and the highs are about 30C inside so I know I will have to remove them from the greenhouse and put them in the shade in the day.

Sorry if I am asking a lot but I am really into propagating these plants and keeping them happy. I also would like to gain more knowlege. Also does anybody know any suppliers of Pings? Just a bit curious to see what is around :D
Attachments:
The largest gemmae
The largest gemmae
P1060273.JPG (55.14 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
The biggest gemmae, three weeks later
The biggest gemmae, three weeks later
P1060347.JPG (24.12 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
Not what you would expect...

Why, the portion cup in from of the binata in the […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

What on earth is this?

Looks a lot like springtails to me. Other possibil[…]

What’s happening

Ok so I went looking again today and noticed a sid[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!