FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By bananaman
My guess is capensis x spatulata is male sterile, so will not have fertile pollen, and likely female sterile too, but it may still have a little fertility, so I'd fruit with capensis pollen on the capensis x spatulata flower.
Considering the fact that capensis has a chromosome count of 40, and spatulata has counts between 30 and 80, it would be highly dependent on the strain of spatulata used as a parent for the hybrid. Ideally, you'd use a hybrid whose parent spatulata has a count of 40, so it would have 40 chromosomes as a result. This would be the most fertile result.
If it was made with a race of spatulata with 80, the hybrid would have 60, and would likely be partially fertile.

Hope it helped!
bananaman, bananaman liked this
By fattytuna
I think that it would be unlikely that a spatulata, with anything that isn't n=40, would be able to hybridise with the capensis in the first place.

Since the plants aren't that closely related, my guess is that most capensis x spatulata plants don't produce any viable gametes.

But if you have a flowering plant handy, it wouldn't hurt to rub capensis pollen on the hybrid to try it

Heres more information on sundew hybridisation
fattytuna liked this

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!