FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Theharvester
Hello Everyone,

I am a sixth grade science teacher who has decided to expand my love of plants to the CP variety.

My class has purchased a B-52 as our first plant and it is doing well as per the growers directions.

I live in Tyler, Texas and we have summers that reach over 100 degrees for days at a time.

Should I continue to windowsill grow this plant and any others that the class decides to obtain or should we place it out doors during milder times of the year?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and expert advice.

Craige LeBreton
By Shadowtski
Hi, welcome to the forum!

I'm not a FlyTrap expert, more of a Drosera guy.
My two cents worth is always try to grow stuff outside as much as possible.
Matt, our Admin, has a lot of information posted here: HTTP://www.flytrapcare.com .
You'll find a lot of good information and a number of friendly people here.
I run a community seed bank for members to expand their collections.
Once you get comfortable growing your FlyTrap and want to try growing other species of CP from seed, check it out.

Good growing,
Mike
By Fly Trap Hunter
Hello and welcome. I'm factoring in this is a indoor class. The fly trap prefers to be outside when its above freezing. A hanging basket, put outside the window, may serve your purpose. I believe a fly trap will survive on a windowsill with 1 to 6 hours direct sunlight. It would love direct sun all day. If it doesn't get enough light, the traps will get deformed looking. one thing I'd suggest is find a cheap office adjustable table light that will reflect the light down and buy a LED bulb that gives you 500 lumens and your fly trap will be happy without going outside. I have a LED bulb that doesn't get hot and uses 4.5watts.

keep a tray of water under the fly trap. when its 100F, keep more water in the tray.
By Theharvester
Thanks for the welcome and information.
I will send picks of our fly trap in this post tomorrow and its set up.

we have the plant in an east facing window. Growing in 100% New Zealand Spaghum Moss. We are using a water tray beneath the plant and using distilled water only.

When the plant arrived four young traps turned black and died. Probably from stress of shipping and re-potting. Plant came root bare.
We have added a red and blue LED grow light on a 12 hour timer and the plant has 3 new leaves with traps sprouting and doing fine.

We plan on placing it outside after spring break by slowly introducing it to the outside environment a little longer each day until it acclimates.

I am more concerned about the summer months of July and August in East Texas. I plan on keeping it outside until temps rise above 90 or so.

I will post progress throughout for those members who might be interested as to how our class project turns out.

Thanks again,

Craige
By Fly Trap Hunter
was thinking a terrarium with sundews and all sorts of cps would be cool in a class. venus fly traps love it hot and humid. like I said, keep a bowl of water under it and don't let it dry out. Shielding it from the mid-day sun would help. Happy growing
By KategoricalKarnivore
Nice project Craige. I live in southeast Texas and my flytraps experience temperatures of 100+ during the summer. As along as they are sitting in a tray of water they should be ok.
By Theharvester
Wow!
Great to know,

I did not know that their was a native CP so close to me.

I will be looking into ordering a sample of this variety for the classroom!

Thanks
By KategoricalKarnivore
Theharvester wrote: I will be looking into ordering a sample of this variety for the classroom!
I can send you a few small ones for the price of shipping. PM me.
By Theharvester
What an amazing forum!

Thanks so much to KountryKarnivours for graciously adding to our class collection for the cost of shipping!

Simply amazing!

Each day I have had more and more students on my campus stop by the classroom to see the Fly Trap!

The sixth graders I teach are telling the 7th and 8th graders all about it.

We will be starting a CP club soon.

If someone can walk me through on how to post images, I will post some from the classroom.

I am just worried about enough room for all the kids that want to be a part of it.
By Theharvester
Apology and Correction....

KatigoricalKarnivour is shipping the new plants to our classroom...... :D :D :D :D
By jackjeckel
Welcome.

I hope your kids will like the new "plant" and hopefully be interested enough to get one of their own.
Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!