FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Naja002
jaester wrote:First and foremost, thank you for this wonderful idea. I have implemented the hut on one of my planters after acquiring a Justina Davis. It's been about 2½ weeks ago and I am wondering how long should I keep the hut on?

What I've done is basically this:

I started out with the original shade hut, but I have moved to starting out with the newer version (dowels and lattice). Not sure which version you are using, but...

When I started with the original version...I eventually went to the newer version, so from that point it is all the same:

I just start the newer version out really low and close to the plants. After about a week I move it up a little bit...not much at all. After another week I move it up a little bit more. After the 3rd week I start inching it up ~1/4 - 1" every day or 2. If you use the short dowels, then swap them out for the full size when the lattice reaches the top of the short ones. Then I just continue "inching" it up every day or 2 until the lattice reaches the top of the long dowels. Then I leave it at the top for 2 or 3 days, and then remove it all.

^^^^Hoping that makes sense to you. If not, check out the pix and then let me know and I'll try to explain it better.

Also, I spray the plants everyday (that it does not rain) with RODI to make sure that the roots, etc have access to plenty of water.
Naja002 liked this
By jaester
Thank you very much for your ideas. I removed the shade hut 5 days ago and my JD is doing great.
By Naja002
jaester wrote:First and foremost, thank you for this wonderful idea. I have implemented the hut on one of my planters after acquiring a Justina Davis. It's been about 2½ weeks ago and I am wondering how long should I keep the hut on?

No problem...I'm glad it has helped some people out. I think it helped me out quite a bit too.

I'm not repotting this year, but I will be using the stick version next year when I repot:

Also, I think I stated previously about this craft lattice helping to protect from frost...I'd like to retract that: I think it may offer some protection, but I won't be relying on it in the future for any plants that need frost protection...like recently repotted, acquired, etc.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!