FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live outside the US, UK or EU

Moderator: Matt

By tael
Hi there everyone!

Being that money is really tight for me lately (vet bills+rent+other essentials) I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in perhaps... some art? I'm having trouble finding a job, and this probably won't make me a lot, but I've got to do everything I can, so I figured I'd give it a shot! Starting price would be 5 dollars, but because I have no idea what people will want, it's probably best to negotiate through PMs.

I can do vector art: Image (This one took about 4-6 hours I think... so I'd probably charge about 5 dollars for something like this, because it's relatively simple, and basically traced and vectorized from a photo). This is the only example I have of vector art at the moment.

I can also do digital paintings: Image (For something like this it might be 15-20 dollars, because it took me about ...well over 10 hours I know for sure, but I can do something simpler).

Anyway... if you're interested in something other than CPs, we can negotiate that as well, because I also like drawing people...

Here's sort of a basic breakdown (All prices are in Canadian dollars):

$5.00-8.00 - Base price, for a vectorized image that is traced from a photograph. Price depends on complexity of the image. Size does not matter.

$7.00-10.00 - For a vectorized image OR digital painting where I have a reference photo, but it is not directly traced. I sketch out the composition first, and then vectorize it. Price depends on complexity of the image. Size does not matter.

These are the starting prices. If you want something different we can negotiate though PMs, I won't be likely to charge over 20 dollars unless it's really complex.

I prefer to receive money through Paypal, but if you can't do that, we can work out another method.

If there's something that I haven't listed here that you think I might be able to do, don't be afraid to PM me to ask. Thanks! =)

If you want a print of the image, there will additional charges for shipping/supplies as well as the paper it's printed on. Otherwise I will just send you the .pdf file. =)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Steve D. Finished Product: Image Thanks Steve!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by tael on Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Steve_D
tael, you are a very skilled and talented artist! All of those samples are beautiful. The colors and composition of the heliamphora are very striking.

I would love to have a nice vector logo of a Flytrap or Flytraps that I could use for the FlytrapRanch.com website, stationery, invoices and packing slips, etc., and perhaps another vector artwork for the top left area of the FlytrapRanch.com homepage. I would like to commission such a logo and/or graphic, but there are two concerns:
  • I don't have a specific idea of what it should look like, so you would have to use your artist's imagination and eye to give me a few ideas with very quick sketches or photos or ideas for source material (I have a good camera and could supply photos, if I knew what might look good as a logo or graphic).
  • I would need a vector format that I can open in the open-source vector graphic program Inkscape, since I don't use Microsoft products nor commercial programs. I don't use Illustrator nor Photoshop nor Windows. Instead I use Inkscape, the Gimp and Linux. Inkscape's native format is SVG (Scalable Vector Graphic standard) and it can understand many encapsulated postscript (EPS) graphics. Inkscape can import some Adobe Illustrator SVG files (*.ai.svg).
Wow. You are such a good artist! :D
Steve
By kevinqwe
i think you can do it.
i think it is gonna look fantastic :D
By tael
Steve_D wrote:tael, you are a very skilled and talented artist! All of those samples are beautiful. The colors and composition of the heliamphora are very striking.

I would love to have a nice vector logo of a Flytrap or Flytraps that I could use for the FlytrapRanch.com website, stationery, invoices and packing slips, etc., and perhaps another vector artwork for the top left area of the FlytrapRanch.com homepage. I would like to commission such a logo and/or graphic, but there are two concerns:
  • I don't have a specific idea of what it should look like, so you would have to use your artist's imagination and eye to give me a few ideas with very quick sketches or photos or ideas for source material (I have a good camera and could supply photos, if I knew what might look good as a logo or graphic).
  • I would need a vector format that I can open in the open-source vector graphic program Inkscape, since I don't use Microsoft products nor commercial programs. I don't use Illustrator nor Photoshop nor Windows. Instead I use Inkscape, the Gimp and Linux. Inkscape's native format is SVG (Scalable Vector Graphic standard) and it can understand many encapsulated postscript (EPS) graphics. Inkscape can import some Adobe Illustrator SVG files (*.ai.svg).
Wow. You are such a good artist! :D
Steve
Thanks so much Steve! That sounds great. I can save as a .svg from Illustrator. I'm not familiar with Inkscape, but saving as a .svg file is simple enough! I will PM you and we can start working out details. =)
By tael
kevinqwe wrote:i think you can do it.
i think it is gonna look fantastic :D
Thanks for the support Kevin! =)
By Steve_D
tael wrote:Thanks so much Steve! That sounds great. I can save as a .svg from Illustrator. I'm not familiar with Inkscape, but saving as a .svg file is simple enough! I will PM you and we can start working out details. =)

Tael, please don't pm me--use email instead. I have so much correspondence going on that it's hard to keep track of if it's in more than one place, and there are times when I don't see or notice my private messages for months. So please send email instead, to steve@flytrapranch.com :mrgreen:

I'm very impressed with your artwork. You are GOOD! Regarding saving or exporting something as .svg, it would be good if you could export an already completed rather complex vector image with lots of special effects as a test (like a sample image from Adobe Illustrator website or other free, public Illustrator image that you save as .SVG; you do use Illustrator, right?), and then email it to me to see if I can open it in Inkscape, and to see how many of the proprietary special vector effects are preserved and which ones are not. You could send an exported bitmap image (PNG for example) for me to compare what the file should look like (according to the PNG image) with what the file actually looks like when I open it in Inkscape. That will at least allow us to know from the beginning what we are dealing with, and how complex you can be with vector effects, or how simple you must constrain yourself to, for the sake of compatibility with the computer programs I use. But it shouldn't be too hard (I hope). :P

Steve
By tael
Steve_D wrote:
tael wrote:Thanks so much Steve! That sounds great. I can save as a .svg from Illustrator. I'm not familiar with Inkscape, but saving as a .svg file is simple enough! I will PM you and we can start working out details. =)

Tael, please don't pm me--use email instead. I have so much correspondence going on that it's hard to keep track of if it's in more than one place, and there are times when I don't see or notice my private messages for months. So please send email instead, to steve@flytrapranch.com :mrgreen:

I'm very impressed with your artwork. You are GOOD! Regarding saving or exporting something as .svg, it would be good if you could export an already completed rather complex vector image with lots of special effects as a test (like a sample image from Adobe Illustrator website or something, if you use Illustrator), and then email it to me to see if I can open it in Inkscape, and to see how many of the proprietary special vector effects are preserved and which ones are not. You could send an exported bitmap image (PNG for example) for me to compare what the file should look like (according to the PNG image) with what the file actually looks like when I open it in Inkscape. That will at least allow us to know from the beginning what we are dealing with, and how complex you can be with vector effects, or how simple you must constrain yourself to, for the sake of compatibility with the computer programs I use. But it shouldn't be too hard (I hope). :P

Steve
Okay! Well, Vector is sort of a new thing for me, and for a logo, you might not want something tooo complex anyway perhaps? I think the only vector I have on my computer at the moment is the heli one, because my desktop is currently not working. =( I can send you a .svg file and a .png file of that one if you like?
By Steve_D
tael wrote:I can send you a .svg file and a .png file of that one if you like?
Kailey-- Just send me an email to steve@flytrapranch.com to get things going, OK? We can go from there. I'll ask you some questions, you can ask me questions, and I'm sure we can work things out. I look forward to it. :D

Steve
By renesis
Wow, your work is beautiful!

I don't have any projects on the go right now, but I will keep you in mind next time my work needs something done.

You might also want to take a look at cafepress.ca / cafepress.com - You can upload your designs and offer them for sale as clothing, stickers, posters etc.. and you get a cut from each one that sells. Just a thought- :)
By tael
Steve_D wrote:
tael wrote:I can send you a .svg file and a .png file of that one if you like?
Kailey-- Just send me an email to steve@flytrapranch.com to get things going, OK? We can go from there. I'll ask you some questions, you can ask me questions, and I'm sure we can work things out. I look forward to it. :D

Steve
Gotcha! =)
renesis wrote:Wow, your work is beautiful!

I don't have any projects on the go right now, but I will keep you in mind next time my work needs something done.

You might also want to take a look at cafepress.ca / cafepress.com - You can upload your designs and offer them for sale as clothing, stickers, posters etc.. and you get a cut from each one that sells. Just a thought- :)
Thanks so much! =) Yes, let me know if you need anything. I will check that out as well, thanks for the idea!
By tael
italo.americano wrote:Kailey,

Beautiful art!

You really have a talent.

Giovanni
Thanks Gio!

Did you change your icon recently, or am I going crazy?
By tael
Very nice! You should post some new pictures of your plants soon. =)
Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!