FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By cdelavan
Hey everyone! I'm a little bit concerned about my VFTs. I was wondering what other people's opinion on them is as I am a bit worried they have some sort of infection/infestation. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's just dormancy and they'll be waking up in the next month or two. I appreciate everyone's feedback. As for growing conditions they are in a peat/sand/perlite mix and indoors under a 6400K growlight set for 11hrs and I only use RO water.
IMG_1532.JPG
IMG_1532.JPG (390.7 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
IMG_1533.JPG
IMG_1533.JPG (345.15 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
By Matt
They look mostly fine to me. It doesn't take much water to keep then hydrated when growing indoors. They appear to be a bit over watered and lacking in light, which is fairly normal for flytraps grown indoors. Get them outside as soon as possible and try cutting back on the watering. With a large pot like that, growing indoors, I'd bet that they would only need water about once a month or less. How often have you been watering them?
By cdelavan
Matt wrote:They look mostly fine to me. It doesn't take much water to keep then hydrated when growing indoors. They appear to be a bit over watered and lacking in light, which is fairly normal for flytraps grown indoors. Get them outside as soon as possible and try cutting back on the watering. With a large pot like that, growing indoors, I'd bet that they would only need water about once a month or less. How often have you been watering them?

I've been watering them about once every 2 weeks. I just happened to take the photos shortly after a watering. Also I can rearrange things to where they'll get more light because I can move my T5 HO bulb closer to them to increase the intensity. Since I live in Texas the weather is due to start warming up so I plan to move them outside soon for sunlight. I'll decrease watering per your advice. I was also worried about mineral burn as well. I used washed horticultural sand and I am growing other VFTs and sundews in another pot just fine and they are not being affected.
By xr280xr
Did you skip dormancy or are they in an unheated room or something? If they're dormant, my guess would also be too much water and they might be beginning to rot. I've had some look that way near the end of dormancy when that is the case. Are these fairly new plants? It seems strange for them to have reduced down to so little if they were already established before dormancy.

If they're not dormant, something's wrong with them. Make sure there's no fertilizer in your soil, you're using distilled water, and tell us more about their growing conditions.
With a large pot like that, growing indoors, I'd bet that they would only need water about once a month or less.
During active growth, when using tray watering and 50:50 peat & perlite, my indoor pots need water a minimum of once per week and more the smaller the pot. I don't give them enough to become completely saturated throughout, though. Maybe my house is extra dry.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!