FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By SoFly
What does a yellowish/light color mean???

My VFT is a yellowish/light green color. It used to be a pretty solid green. I've kept it in the same terrarium for over a month now(I might be able to post pictures, if it REALLY helps).

My mom claims that I am "over watering" it, fore in other plants, they turn a light color when over watered. However, I read on here that it is virtually impossible to over water a VFT...?

I live in the Utah dessert. Where its DRY and HOT. I put tiny trays of ice cubes in my terrarium when I go to work so that my plant won't "cook" inside of its terrarium while I'm away. I even return at lunch JUST to put fresh ice cubes in...

I always make sure to give my VFT a LONG photo period(at LEAST 12 hrs...). On rainy/cloudy days I even bring it in to keep it lit under a fluorescent light!

Does anyone know the answer to this? It would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks.
By mnwatson1
It is definitely possible to over water a vft, especially in a terrarium setting. Pics are the best way for people to help diagnose your problem though. What kind of soil/water are you using?

Also, putting the vft under fluorescent lights on cloudy/rainy days will provide it with less light than if you left it outside. :)

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
mnwatson1 liked this
By parker679
SoFly wrote:I always make sure to give my VFT a LONG photo period(at LEAST 12 hrs...). On rainy/cloudy days I even bring it in to keep it lit under a fluorescent light!
So are you saying you have it in a terrarium outside? That's a recipe for disaster, even with ice cubes you're going to get way too hot in there. Also, no need to bring it in when it rains, it rains where they're naturally from.

I would ditch the terrarium and just use the tray method which you should be able to find a ton of info on if you do a site search.

Pictures would definitely help though.
By cdelavan
I grow my VFTs outside year round and haven't had much in the way of problems. During the winter if we get a bad cold front (which is infrequent since I live in south TX) I just pull them into the garage until the cold spell has passed. Your best bet is to grow them outside (especially during growing season) which will best simulate their natural habitat.
By SoFly
I'll try and get a picture up soon. I'm new to the site and am still trying to figure it out. I've done some research, on this site and others, and they said that fluorescent light is best for them in terms of artificial light... is this false?

I have a 1:1 sphagnum peat moss perlite soil medium. I only use distilled water to water it.

I don't know if you guys know much about UT's weather, but, it's CRAZY! We're technically a "dessert" climate. However, we are also one of those unique climates that practically experiences all 4 climate types(HOT "dessert" summer days and cool desert nights. FREEZING COLD winters, etc.) It is also VERY DRY where I live, humidity averages at about 10%. We tend to average mid to high 80's everyday in summer.

I am beginning to think the terrarium is a bad idea. It just sounded like the best one at the time I purchased it("controlled" climate, ya know...). But, a lot of signs are beginning to signal me to the tray method.

Oh, and I give it light more like 12-14 hrs a day(more like 14). I researched that they LOVE Light and as much of it as possible.

Like I said, I'll try n' get a picture up soon. How exactly do I do that?

And, THANK YOU guys so much for the quick replies! Means a lot :)

Take care.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!