FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Ras
is it the same idea with pings as other cps where the more light the more color it will get
speaking generally about P. 'Pirouette', and moranensis, and some hybrids like sethos
Ive seen some green and some bright bright pink, ect
and just wondering i guess :)

/edit
nvm i figured it out.
but heres another question
i was told to not let pings get direct sunlight
is that true?
By Grey
Pinguicula will definitely colour up in bright light. The amount of light that is deemed "safe" for a pinguicula varies depending on species; some will absolutely adore direct sunlight (such as many Mexican species) whereas others will shrivel and die (a few tropical species are extremely susceptible to dehydration). Cold tempreate species (such as P. Grandiflora) are okay in sunlight but must be kept cool or they will wilt and die.

If I was to keep my pinguicula outside I would personally prefer dappled sunlight, it's easier to ensure that the plants are getting enough water. Please remember to acclimate any plants you choose to move from an indoor location to an outdoor one :) Glass protects them from the full-throttle of the sun.
Grey liked this
By Ras
grey to the rescue again :) thank you!
By GothicJackalPaws
Grey wrote:Pinguicula will definitely colour up in bright light. The amount of light that is deemed "safe" for a pinguicula varies depending on species; some will absolutely adore direct sunlight (such as many Mexican species) whereas others will shrivel and die (a few tropical species are extremely susceptible to dehydration). Cold tempreate species (such as P. Grandiflora) are okay in sunlight but must be kept cool or they will wilt and die.

If I was to keep my pinguicula outside I would personally prefer dappled sunlight, it's easier to ensure that the plants are getting enough water. Please remember to acclimate any plants you choose to move from an indoor location to an outdoor one :) Glass protects them from the full-throttle of the sun.
What about Pinguicula primuflora?
By Grey
P. Primuliflora usually stays green regardless of the amount of light it gets. Some tropical pinguicula do not change colour (I apologize for the generalized use of "pinguicula" in my prior post) but most need to be kept moist. In my opinion P. Primuliflora is the easiest of the tropical pings to keep but is also susceptible to dehydration and cannot be allowed to dry out.

Direct sunlight is generally best for most of the easy-to-grow species (P. Primuliflora included), the only issue that may arise is due to excess evaporation that can accompany the added heat of direct light, hence my mentioning of dehydration. As long as acclimation is done slowly and water levels maintained there shouldn't be any problems.
Grey liked this
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Bag them for a month, opening the bag every day or[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!