FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By kronos1996
Considered by most as the hardest CP to grow and nearly impossible to grow artificially outside its natural environment, this plant is truly a mystery... Has anyone here had any success growing one particularly this "mountain" variety? I have met many a horror story about growing Cobra Lilies but never a success and I don't mean a plant that survives but one that actually thrives and grows!
By Sander
Well, i would def. not say its the hardest ;)
I keep mine outside (have had it for 2 months now), and its doing ok, its growing slow but was pretty squashed during shipment.

i do read a lot about keeping the roots cool, yet i have no problems so far (and temperature reaches over 30 degrees here today)
By Tony C
Where do you live? Mine did very well when I lived in Oregon, but I traded all my adults off before I moved to South Carolina because I was afraid they wouldn't be able to handle the change in climate. I did bring some seedlings out and about half have made it through the first year.

Potting in live sphagnum and flushing the pot frequently with cool water will go a long way toward helping them thrive.

By mnwatson1
I just ordered a 4 year old plant (young adult? Supposed to be a year out from flowering,) and am hoping it does well here in Missouri. We've been having days in the 90's, and from what I've been reading, I will likely be watering with cool water daily, and bringing in the plant at night to help it have the cooler evenings. I'm interested to see what others have to say! I have lots of seedlings, though my indoor ones seem to be doing better than the outdoor ones. :(

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
By kronos1996
Interesting, are you using the "mountain" variety?
By mnwatson1
kronos1996 wrote:Interesting, are you using the "mountain" variety?
Who? I'm assuming not me, as I don't even have my plant yet (it's on the way!!!) but just to answer on my end skyway, yes, both the plant I ordered and my seedlings are the mountain variety. :)

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!