FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Nightbreed
Not really having that great of a day. It should have been great. I planned my seed bank request close together so i could get 2 in one sase. Then to make things better a seed special meant i was getting 2 pitchers in the same order. Four seeds in one order is amazing only costing two stamps. So great it's too good to be true...

Of course the post office had to ruin my day. The sorting machines decided to run right down the center of the envelope crushing most seeds to a fine powder. The sundew seeds might be ok as they are so small and it's not too bad as Mike said I could reorder them despite it not being his fault (Cannot thank you enough). I Completely blame the post office not so gentle handling. Only problem is the one I was most excited for the mostly white s. leucophylla. It happens.

Work early today so ofcorse I got no sleep due to a previous back injury. Tired off tossing and turning got up to tend my plants. Was cleaning some mold off the top of my d. capensis seedling and accidentally dislodged the seedling which decided to fly away. Didn't mention this was the final survivor of a particularly dry day that dried my seed tray out killing it's bothers and sisters. Frustrated with myself got ready for work only to find my bike had a flat.

Sorry for the wall of text but I need some cheering up. Tell me your success stories, happy thoughts, heck even a joke. I could really use it today. :(ImageImageImageImage
By Jeeper
I too found one pack of seeds crushed by the machines. I decided to still strat the remains to see if anything happens...
By -twillyranger-
This might cheer you up, I was checking my plants this morning and I found that one of my nepenthes is starting to vine! Hopefully I get some upper pitchers soon.

Also here’s a joke I found, what’s a sundew’s favorite drink?

Mountain Dew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By twitterglitter
The post office wasn't very kind to the sarr seeds I ordered either. I got out my usb microscope and sifted through the dust to find 12 seeds in tact and got them sown and in the fridge.

Last summer my favorite sundew appeared to be dead. Once I got tired of looking at it and had given up, I pulled the dead leaves off only to find two new little dews to replace it.

When it rains, it pours, but a lot of the time the bad things that happen lead to something better down the road.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
By Nightbreed
Thank you guys and sorry to hear everyone's sarrs didn't fair that well either. In my pack one pitcher has 1 intact seed and 2 cracked that I'll try anyways and the other was completely dust. The vft had 3 intact and who knows about the dews they are so small it's hard to tell. I just look forward to tomorrow being a better day. :) I'll keep on trying.
By bananaman
My sarr seeds arrived just fine from the seedbank — I wonder what happened to cause the crushing of the VFTs or sarrs?

It’s not like I live close enough that the seeds don’t go very far either.
By Jeeper
I live in the same state as Mike so mine didn't travel far at all and it still happened... Maybe they're using new machines??
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Alright I'll try, this it the story of when I attempted to plant a packet of sundew seeds I got in the mail.

Sundew seeds everywhere

One day I went to my mailbox to find a small packet of sundew seeds. They were of Drosera Spatulata, a plant that I've tried to grow from seed but failed. I waited five days for these seeds to come so I was stoked. Being filled with excitement, I rushed to my backyard with a camera and tripod along with all my supplies. I was going to film the process of me planting my seeds, for my small and upcoming youtube channel. I turned the camera on and got right to work. I filled the pots with sphagnum moss, wrote down the date and species, and began the delicate process of unpacking the seeds and sprinkling them on the surface of the media. So far so good. However, I was rambling about something to the camera and said something funny, which caused me chuckle just enough to where the breath I took blew the teeny little sundew seeds all over the goddamn place. I froze in shock for several seconds; I just dispersed 50 or so small powdery seeds everywhere from laughing at something I said to myself that wasn't even that funny. It didn't take me much time to round them back up and sprinkle enough of them on the media, but it was still pretty frustrating. I got everything in place, ended the recording, and placed them on my west facing windowsill that gets several hours of direct, afternoon sunlight. So after that mild disaster, I figured that maybe the video would still be somewhat salvageable. It wasn't. I was not salvageable in the slightest. It was long, boring, mumbly, and awkward. My nose was sticking into the top left corner of the screen, and I talked too quietly. Being horribly discouraged with both my video making skills and my horticultural skills, I lied down on my bed for several minutes and starred of into space, quietly contemplating my future...

and if that isn't enough, then here's a post I wrote when I was immensely frustrated with the health of my Venus Flytraps. The vocab and choice of words here are truly something to behold.

https://flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/i-am-abs ... 38982.html
By Bob Beer
Wow lots of crushed seeds out there, what a bummer. I always use a bubble or padded envelope to send seeds in...is suggest you all do the same! Of course you can’t easily control what the other party does, but it’s worth bringing up.

By Nightbreed
Bob Beer wrote:Wow lots of crushed seeds out there, what a bummer. I always use a bubble or padded envelope to send seeds in...is suggest you all do the same! Of course you can’t easily control what the other party does, but it’s worth bringing up.

How much extra is the bubble padding to send?

SFH I've read that thread a few times and it seems that lately things have been going better for you. That's probably the one thing I was looking for in this thread too. I know some days can be rough but there are good days too.

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!