FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By dmagnan
So, I stopped buying new flytrap clones two years ago, transplanted all of my plants in the spring, and then just left them to their own devices for two years. This is the result. Probably ~30 hours of work transplanting, and ~150 plants. Umm. Oops.

SO they look a little ragged, because about a month and a half ago, a hailstorm ripped through Houston and basically destroyed all the aboveground growth on most of the plants. Luckily the seedlings were mostly protected. I was really worried that I was going to lose most of my plants, but I ended up losing almost none. So I had to wait a while before I transplanted them, but this is the result. I think I need to start selling some.

I don't know if anyone I know is still around, but regardless, Hello!
Attachments:
The whole lot
The whole lot
IMAG0331.jpg (511.17 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
Low Giant rhizome
Low Giant rhizome
IMAG0303.jpg (384.62 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
B52 rhizome
B52 rhizome
IMAG0302.jpg (335.67 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
Last edited by dmagnan on Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
dmagnan, dmagnan liked this
By dmagnan
One year later, breaking dormancy. New apartment, can't give them more than an hour's direct sunlight, we'll see how they do. I'm thinking about going all out and doing a big outdoor light setup, but so far they seem to be alright, if a little spindly. Just fed them their first batch of crickets this year. Sold off a bunch of plants, these are the remainders. I want to do a bunch of pollination and seed collecting this year, so I'm going to let them all flower. Not sure where I would put hundreds of seedlings, but we'll see what happens.
Attachments:
2.jpg
2.jpg (320.35 KiB) Viewed 5322 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (343.6 KiB) Viewed 5322 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (307.21 KiB) Viewed 5322 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (305.18 KiB) Viewed 5322 times
Last edited by dmagnan on Sat May 03, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By dmagnan
Extremely happy with new order from flytrapcare.com, as usual! Trying out LFS based on all I've been seeing recently. Man it's interesting trying to settle plants into that stuff though, especially for more than one plant/pot, since it's all so interwoven. Do you guys normally chop it up first?

The Southwest Giant pot is just stuffed full of tiny plants, hopefully they'll have or develop the root systems they need for this media. Does this one divide a lot like Crimson Sawtooth?

I have a few more plants coming next week, and I bought a 125 watt CFL that'll be set up on my balcony outside to supplement my ~2-3 hours of direct sunlight a day. Annnnd I'm not allowed to spend any more discretionary money for the next couple months. But I finally have a Green Dragon!! I've wanted one for a long time.
Attachments:
8.jpg
8.jpg (360.36 KiB) Viewed 5251 times
Last edited by dmagnan on Sat May 03, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SFLguy
Hey, I just wanted to ask you a quick question based on your last picture, do you have a lot of wind there or are all the stalks just growing in that one direction naturally? :lol:
By dmagnan
They're reaching towards the light. I live on a second floor balcony and the plants only get light a few hours a day from one direction.
By SFLguy
dmagnan wrote:They're reaching towards the light. I live on a second floor balcony and the plants only get light a few hours a day from one direction.
Haha that makes sense, I just thought it looked funny :D
By Matt
dmagnan wrote:Man it's interesting trying to settle plants into that stuff though, especially for more than one plant/pot, since it's all so interwoven. Do you guys normally chop it up first?
No, we just leave it long and kind of wrap (but not tightly and not in a winding way) the moss around the rhizome. Potting multiple plants per pot is an art I've not quite mastered yet, but I get by. Our employee Kyle is much more effective at potting multiple plants per pot.
By dmagnan
New setup, with supplemented light! Not all the plants are going to get even treatment, obviously, but maybe I'll rotate them periodically. I'm also propagating succulents, so they're going to get some help too.
Attachments:
9.jpg
9.jpg (319.93 KiB) Viewed 5212 times
Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!