FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Bradari
Lol u guys are just confusing me even more. Guess I will leave it as us and hope for a miracle

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
By Earthy
technically rhizomes are just really big, modified root/stem structures that store the "food" that the plant takes in. then they spread either under the ground or sometimes on top of the ground and make little offshoots. same thing with Cobra lilies and flytraps (except the flytraps don't grow the rhizome horizontally like the Cobra Lilies and Cephs). hence the reason they say to make sure you get white rhizome on a flytrap leaf when doing a leaf pull. so, in essence it's the main root/stem, and the thin "roots" you see are the secondary roots that it uses to anchor the plant. so like it's been stated, if you have the main rhizome root (and it looks like you do), and it isn't "damaged", then hopefully you'll get some more Cephs :)
Last edited by Earthy on Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By partisangardener
Its hopeless.
There are three parts plants consist of.
Root, stem and leaf. Rhizome is a special form of stem. Both can be storage for the plant. Cephalotus has both and they are equal good for propagation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root

laymen does not know the difference (and usually does not want to know) so discussion is futile.
By Earthy
partisangardener wrote: laymen does not know the difference so discussion is futile.
you really don't have to be kinda mean here...this statement was kinda uncalled for. people are still learning so cut them some slack alright?
By partisangardener
It looked more like ignoring than learning, so please excuse my misunderstanding
The article in Wiki is quite informative,
if either is thick enough its good.
By Earthy
just remember though, you were a "layman/nOOb" once, so no need to go all Borg on people lol...
By partisangardener
I am in most fields a layman but I don’t ignore what everybody says. I am still learning fast and furious without hope to find an end to it.

There is no absolute knowledge, but this is just a definition and if I am wrong I admit it without having trouble to do so.
I will be layman forever so what? What science now believes children will laugh about in some hundred years.
By Leathal_Traps
I should have been more specific when I said you can't make root cuttings. When I say roots I mean the small thin ones, not the thicker ones as seen in your picture Bradari. For me the thicker ones I just call rhizomes. For example in the picture you would be able to use the ones circled in green but not the ones circled in red ( at least in my experience).
Attachments:
cephalotus root.jpg
cephalotus root.jpg (35.61 KiB) Viewed 4377 times
By Bradari
Thank you that's what I needed to know. So I am keeping her in the best conditions possible and hoping for the best.
And by the way if I was going to ignore what everyone says I would not be hee asking. Why do people have to be so unkind.

By Bradari
And to add I feel that uprooting her now again and moving her to another soil etc would stunt here again even more. I have learnt a big lesson in leaving cephs be. + live spag is not easy to find here by me

By partisangardener
partisangardener wrote: The way I showed is surly faster as the way you try it. But it is your Cephalotus und always handling it again is the worst method.
That was exactly my advice but you are not alone.;)
greetings
Axel
By Bradari
Really I'm getting a but upset now it's not that I don't want to follow that specific bit of advice. I can't get live spag right now and I'm to scared to repot her again cause that is what caused her decline after she was showing progress.
Flip can't I just get advice instead if getting attacked all the time.

By partisangardener
it is your Cephalotus und always handling it again is the worst method.
Thats what I said you were right,

but it’s my fault I was ignorant of the possibility that it is just a male-female misunderstanding. Maybe you just wanted to moan about what fate has befallen your Hope Cephalotus and maybe you wanted to be comforted and then, I dump male come along with solutions and definitions.

While you were politely ignoring my clumsiness I rudely insisted that there are already the best solutions and explanations served, and you best leave your precious plant alone like you intended.

On top I supposed that you might be a layman, what ignorance.

I agree I am guilty and won’t bother you again with plain facts and definitions, I am completely wrong (whatever I say must be wrong).
Sorry I am only a handicapped human, a male and even discussing not in my native language
Fare well and all the best to hope.
By Benurmanii
partisangardener wrote:but it’s my fault I was ignorant of the possibility that it is just a male-female misunderstanding. Maybe you just wanted to moan about what fate has befallen your Hope Cephalotus and maybe you wanted to be comforted and then, I dump male come along with solutions and definitions.
That's pretty sexist...
Benurmanii liked this

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!