FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Frank
Hey,
my cephalotus recently made first two adult size pitchers. What baffles me is the coloration. While the parts of the pitchers exposed to light turned very dark, the bottom and back of the pitchers is still green, the difference is very distinct. I grow it in tank with Queenslad drosera (schizandra, prolifera) and recently had some fungus issues due to high humidity required by schizandra. I can provide pictures, not sure it will show properly tho. Do pitchers always color this way or is my ceph sick, anyone?
By jwbates26
Your ceph is fine. Due to the more intense light the pitchers have colored up with the red pigmentation which acts kind of like sunscreen for plants. Since the back of the pitchers or the pitchers that get less intense light they will produce less coloration. Fungus is something to worry about with ceph and other plants. They don't like it very much so keep and eye and make sure you don't get any powdery mildew on your ceph.

Good luck and it sounds like its a happy plant.
jwbates26, jwbates26 liked this
By Frank
For fungus I use weak solution of sulfur fungicide and it seems to work fine. Still have to figure out how to feed plants growing in hight humidity without causing mold outbreak. Thanks a lot for the answer, now I feel better :)
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!