FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By snapperhead51
some have asked to post pic's of ceph flowers in bloom so here are some that I have the mature open ones are being hand pollinated
J
Attachments:
P1100068.JPG
P1100068.JPG (67.11 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
P1100067.JPG
P1100067.JPG (59.78 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
P1100066.JPG
P1100066.JPG (55.58 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
P1100065.JPG
P1100065.JPG (43.85 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
P1100064.JPG
P1100064.JPG (69.16 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
P1100062.JPG
P1100062.JPG (67.99 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
P1100061.JPG
P1100061.JPG (48.1 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
P1100060.JPG
P1100060.JPG (70.77 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
P1100059.JPG
P1100059.JPG (123.62 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
By dantt99
Very nice! What camera are you using?

About the Ceph stalk.... Do you self pollinate with the same flower, another flower from a different ceph, or a plant having nothing to do with cephs?
dantt99 liked this
By snapperhead51
dantt99 wrote:Very nice! What camera are you using?

About the Ceph stalk.... Do you self pollinate with the same flower, another flower from a different ceph, or a plant having nothing to do with cephs?
using a Panasonic FZ30 HD dig
Ceph's do not self pollinate , they need the insects to do that seeing I dont have them here in my green house DAM !! I need to try to pollinate the flowers my self , not a huge success so far but still trying , tried a new method this time so see if that is more affective . I try not to cross pollinate but we will see !!
J
snapperhead51 liked this
By dantt99
Cool. I hope it's a success!

I guess I should have made my question clearer. Can you pollinate a cephalotus flower with a flower from any plant or does it have to be a CP? Very dumb question but I'm not a flower stalk expert :lol:.
By snapperhead51
dantt99 wrote:Cool. I hope it's a success!

I guess I should have made my question clearer. Can you pollinate a cephalotus flower with a flower from any plant or does it have to be a CP? Very dumb question but I'm not a flower stalk expert :lol:.
Hi Dantt
well no its not possible to pollinate a flower unless you have the correct genus pollen, in other words, if you have a VFT flower the only pollen that will pollinate it is, its own pollen or pollen from another VFT, using pollen from its own flower is called self pollination , using pollen from another plant of a VFT like bigmouth VFT pollen to a sawtooth flower is called cross pollination, giving for a seed with both bigmouth and sawtooth characteristics, but in VFt case not till the 2nd or 3 generation with the main or dominant parent showing, in most cases !!
its the same for all PC's sarras pollen only pollinates sarra , cephs only cephs , nep's only neps and so on . hope this answers you question correctly enough for you
J
snapperhead51 liked this
By dimitar
Hi John,
in order to polinate one plant itself - what is needed? - male and female plant like Neps? If you have done this before would you please explain how it is happening? How long is it needed to form seeds? Does the stalk exhaust the plant and when it forms it does it slow down the growth and does it form pitchers during this time? I see that your plants are not so big but althouggh this they form stalks. So far I haven't had the happiness to have stalk so I congratulate you for the beautiful plants and please excuse me for the questions. :mrgreen: Thanks!
Cheers,
D
By snapperhead51
dimitar wrote:Hi John,
in order to polinate one plant itself - what is needed? - male and female plant like Neps? If you have done this before would you please explain how it is happening? How long is it needed to form seeds? Does the stalk exhaust the plant and when it forms it does it slow down the growth and does it form pitchers during this time? I see that your plants are not so big but althouggh this they form stalks. So far I haven't had the happiness to have stalk so I congratulate you for the beautiful plants and please excuse me for the questions. :mrgreen: Thanks!
Cheers,
D
Hi Dimitar
As I put in my thread I have not had a lot of success with the pollination of cephs , so for me its still trail and error , my eyes even with glass,can not tell the difference between male and female flower , its not like sarras or nep flowers more like VFT or drosera flowers ,so I am assuming to pollinate as I do for them !! except drosera have a lot of self pollinators in there plant range ! so using the small paint brush method that has served me well so for and going to each flower and hope fully getting pollen from one and pollinating another flower , is this right way ??,
my friend in the hill gets his pollinated by insects and I dont have them type here on the plains ,so can only try to do it my self only time will tell !!.

as for plant making flower stalks , I would think its just a matter of them being in the right conditions to flower ,as usual think that the light factor would play a major part in that as well ,when we had very hot summers i did not get as many or if any flowers but now a milder summer and more light in the green house up came 4 and I expect more by the looks of things !
As far as the flower take a lot out the plant ,I would think so ,as most flowers do take a lot of energy to produce and maintain , but these here hold up well in the past ,and with our new way or feeding it should be no problems for them !!
sorry my friend not a lot a help ,I am still learning about them too :mrgreen:
snapperhead51 liked this

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!