FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By DeadlyCarnivore
Hello, I'm posting this here because I feel like it will increase my chances of getting help, and its ceph related

I recently purchased some tissue culture cephs and was hoping I could get some tips to help me harden them off in soil. I read the TC Guide, but I have a feeling it will be a little more difficult to harden off cephs considering how much they dont like to be disturbed. Does anyone have any experience with moving cephs from TC to soil? Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

By Nepenthes0260
I've deflasked cephs a couple times. Immediately after deflasking, keep them as humid as possible! Even a few hours in low humidity will kill fresh TC plantlets. Also, make sure to remove ALL of the agar off the rudimentary roots/rhizomes of the plants. Don't be afraid to use a bit of force as well, as the plants are already going to be super stressed out from deflasking. Any existing roots grown in-vitro won't do much when they're deflasked, and they'll have to grow a new set of roots for ex-vitro culture anyways.
Panman liked this
By DeadlyCarnivore

Nepenthes0260 wrote:I've deflasked cephs a couple times. Immediately after deflasking, keep them as humid as possible! Even a few hours in low humidity will kill fresh TC plantlets. Also, make sure to remove ALL of the agar off the rudimentary roots/rhizomes of the plants. Don't be afraid to use a bit of force as well, as the plants are already going to be super stressed out from deflasking. Any existing roots grown in-vitro won't do much when they're deflasked, and they'll have to grow a new set of roots for ex-vitro culture anyways.
Thanks, how long did you keep your cephs bagged up before you start acclimating them? How quickly did they grow new roots?

By Nepenthes0260
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:
Nepenthes0260 wrote:I've deflasked cephs a couple times. Immediately after deflasking, keep them as humid as possible! Even a few hours in low humidity will kill fresh TC plantlets. Also, make sure to remove ALL of the agar off the rudimentary roots/rhizomes of the plants. Don't be afraid to use a bit of force as well, as the plants are already going to be super stressed out from deflasking. Any existing roots grown in-vitro won't do much when they're deflasked, and they'll have to grow a new set of roots for ex-vitro culture anyways.
Thanks, how long did you keep your cephs bagged up before you start acclimating them? How quickly did they grow new roots?

A couple/few months, IIRC! Cephs are pretty slow growing plants, I would have acclimated them much sooner if they were a faster one like Drosera.
By DeadlyCarnivore
Nepenthes0260 wrote:
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:

A couple/few months, IIRC! Cephs are pretty slow growing plants, I would have acclimated them much sooner if they were a faster one like Drosera.
Ahh, okay. Thank you!

Nepenthes0260 liked this

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!