FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By petmantis
moof wrote:Well there's an untold rule: "don't put plants that rare in TC, if you got one you're lucky but you shouldn't have get it", and most of the biggest and most experienced growers from Europe do so. That's why I don't like many of them. They also don't want to trade until you offer them something very, very rare.
I don't see logic in trading something 'rare' for even a whole bunch of common or not-so-rare plants. I wouldn't trade my extra ceph 'Cz Giant' for a d. capensis, but perhaps for a Heliamphora or another Ceph cultivar I don't have. Would you?
By roey benjamin marcus
Even 5 D. Capensis. They would have to
1. want to get rid of their rare plant.
AND
2. want a ridiculous amount of drosera capensis.
By moof
Of course I didn't mean a capensis, but by saying "very rare" I've meant really special plants that only a few growers have. To understand what am I talking about, they wouldn't trade even for 'Czech Giant', even if they don't have it because they don't want the rare plants to spread in other collections.
By Xeno
hehe I wonna add my thought about this plant to hehe.. It is a man who have grown these cephs for about 40 years that came across this and only this that was worth something. I would maby not pay that mutch for the plant but its not that mutch money when you see how long it did take for him to find this nice cultivar.. and the cash dosnt even go to him thats bad :p
By petmantis
moof wrote:Of course I didn't mean a capensis, but by saying "very rare" I've meant really special plants that only a few growers have. To understand what am I talking about, they wouldn't trade even for 'Czech Giant', even if they don't have it because they don't want the rare plants to spread in other collections.

Hmm, I see what you're getting at. I have yet to see that happen, perhaps I should check out european forums more often :P
By moof
By the way, you're from Quebec?:) I was born there! But I left Canada 10 years ago. I didn't know there was a CP group there. Maybe I'll make a visit to Quebec the next year.

And after all about the growers and the rare plant - there's a hermetic group now, trading between themselves, not selling/trading plants to "outsiders". That's a negative thing in my opinion, because there's no way to get some plants until you collect seeds or plants in the wild (the second is illegal, but that's the way most of the rare plants made it to the collections)
By petmantis
moof wrote:By the way, you're from Quebec?:) I was born there! But I left Canada 10 years ago. I didn't know there was a CP group there. Maybe I'll make a visit to Quebec the next year.

And after all about the growers and the rare plant - there's a hermetic group now, trading between themselves, not selling/trading plants to "outsiders". That's a negative thing in my opinion, because there's no way to get some plants until you collect seeds or plants in the wild (the second is illegal, but that's the way most of the rare plants made it to the collections)

Hehe, you should come visit sometime! Yup, the SCAPI-CCPS was there since 1999, with its headquarters at the Montreal Botanical Garden. I'd love to give you a tour of the Garden and the many hidden places where you can see CPs. (heck, I don't even know all of them! LOL! Today at a meeting with the president and another member, we went to see a cool inground bog full of Sarr hybrids I had never seen before :P )

And yes, that's true and of course, very unfortunate that most rarities are in cultivation because of collecting in the wild, but then I guess every plant can be traced back to the wild, esp. location-specific Sarrs and that kind of stuff :( Unfortunate that those growers are doing what they're doing. :(
By moof
Wow I was at the botanical garden in Montreal a couple of times and never heard of the SCAPI-CCPS!! What a pity... Damn.
We'll stay in touch and I'll sure e-mail you when I'll be ready for a visit!
By Idontkno23
$900 is a little much. But I don't think putting plants should be put in TC because they are rare. Maybe for a private collection. But if you have the plant and put it in TC, then you can't have as much pride in owning it.

A somewhat good example is these little "Silly bands" that my little brother wears around school. He thought they were the coolest thing when it was just him and a few of his friends that had them, now that the whole school wears them, he threw them all in the trash.

Of course, noone would (I hope) throw away a good Ceph. The rarity is what makes them the gem of a collection!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Bag them for a month, opening the bag every day or[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!