FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By Mufasa
So a week or so ago i bought a ceph culture... had about 16 plants in it which i plated out.... couple days later there was a bit of a heat wave, and they took a massive amount of damage... thankfully most of the larger plants still had lime green growth in them..
anyway, i have bought a second culture too... poor impulse control, had many more plants in it... and they were still clumped up so i had to cut them apart... probably got 30+ plants from them
i have also bought a wine cooler with a glass door, it seems on the lowest setting to stay around 18-22c inside... which seems pretty good to me.. here's a pic Image
doing some research, i came across this thread by bigbella http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/eden- ... cephalotus ... had some incredible callus growth in it, so i asked for some advice on how to achieve the same... was suggested upwards of 2ml/l bap for multiplication, so i have now approximately half of the new culture plated into 3ml/l bap media, and i want to log the different growth traits for the recovering cultures, and both the new cultures with and without BAP, so i will post pics here.

i currently have everything in the cool chamber, where they will stay for the next 6 weeks in darkness to reduce bleeding..

i have picked out 1 sample from each category to track... tried to get ones of reasonably similar size

recovery culture (this one is one of the ones that fared the hot weather the best... alot were more damaged)
multiplication culture (it's fully green... post processing just makes it look brown)
regular media
Mufasa liked this
By Mufasa
updates on the recovering culture... definately growing, the new leaf in the middle has grown, and the other 2 leaves have also elongated

they are getting no light atm so they are pale and leggy... waiting 5 weeks before i put them under lights.
By xr280xr
You bought these as live cultures? They look very established already, are you sure they should be in darkness? I thought the darkness period for cephs was to reduce bleeding of the cut surface of the initial explant before it begins to grow.
By Mufasa
hi, you also do so when you cut or divide plants from in culture as i did with alot of these... either way i dont have much choice until some parts arrive and i can set up some lights
By Codyb852
You got any updates on these guys? I've been wanted to put cephalotus in tc for a while now. Would love some insight from what you have observed and learned.
By Mufasa
my conditions havent been ideal so im not sure i can teach you much lol..
when i first plated them, they all died back... all the green died, then they started growing again.. at this point i was scared off from having them under lights and exposed to ambient heat, so they have been in a fridge for several months... only now im trying to experiment with getting them out and back under light... not sure if what killed them was... natural... overexposure to light... phenolic bleeding... or heat

so yeah i still need to experiment, i have brought a couple out of the protection of the fridge a few days ago, really want to bring most of them out and get normal growth going on rather than the pale light starved growth... ill post some more pics for u sometime today
also i have heard that it's really hard to explant cephs from tissue... better to use seed (which im currently trying also)
By kdagostino
Any updates?
I'll be starting up some Ceph's in TC in the next week or so and would like to know how your cephs responded to being in the fridge with no light etc.
By ironcore21
What's the best place to get cephs in tc?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
By Mufasa
ironcore21 wrote:What's the best place to get cephs in tc?

well... i don't know where you live, and even if i did, i still wouldn't know who you could get some from.
By ironcore21
Oh I was just wondering where you got yours I live in Texas

By Mufasa
ironcore21 wrote:Oh I was just wondering where you got yours I live in Texas

I live in australia and got mine from a dude in south australia... i think matt might actually sell ceph cultures... i know he offers other cultures from time to time, send him an email..
By Mufasa
update pic as requested

interesting growth pattern, when it had little light, you can see it shot up alot, and now that it has decent lighting, it has compact growth around every node
worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!