FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By cadorn
My flytrap has survived winter in my enclosed sunroom (that has a portable heater.) I have moved it outside, for rain and bugs. New growth is appearing as you can see! My questions: 1) dirt is keeping traps open, yet when I try to get the dirt out, the trap naturally closes. How can you safely flush a trap clean? 2) Is there anything special I should do or be aware of at this time? This is the first time I have successfully brought flytraps through winter.

On a different note, I also have Purple Pitchers, as you can see next to the Venus Flytrap. Note what I am assuming are flower buds developing! YEAH!
Connie
Attachments:
Purple bloom.jpg
Purple bloom.jpg (58.16 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
Trap.jpg
Trap.jpg (56.71 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
By Matt
cadorn wrote:) dirt is keeping traps open, yet when I try to get the dirt out, the trap naturally closes. How can you safely flush a trap clean?
You can try using a spray bottle to wash it out or just leave it.
cadorn wrote:2) Is there anything special I should do or be aware of at this time?
Squirrels, birds and other pests! Watch for aphids, but in most cases it's the larger animals that cause more problems.
By cadorn
THANKS! I will try the spray, and be on the lookout for the blasted aphids. Neem oil and other treatments for aphids are forbidden for carnivorous, right> [Sigh.] The plants are up away from mammal predators, so that isn't a worry. But last summer I saw finches peck at the plants. [Another sigh.] Yet another question: each trap has a limited number of closings before it can't perform anymore, right? So when it closes due to me trying for dirt removal, I am shortening its life rather than helping it?
Connie
By Matt
cadorn wrote:Yet another question: each trap has a limited number of closings before it can't perform anymore, right?
Yes, but the exact number can vary quite a bit.
cadorn wrote:So when it closes due to me trying for dirt removal, I am shortening its life rather than helping it?
Well, they can still perform photosynthesis after they've become inactive. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you're tripping all of the traps closed repeatedly right after they reopen.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!