FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
Don't know. Cuttings and young plants typically do better on the warmer side of their "ideal" range. As long as it doesn't continue to drop you should be ok. I strike cuttings in a range closer to 25 degrees and the drops are around 22. The heat from the light generally brings it up that high and I live in a much hotter area. Consider leaving the mat on around the clock, they should strike in a couple of weeks. I do it differently though. I cut parts and stick them in test tubes of distilled water like some freaky lab experiment. I keep my test tube rack under lights and it does fine.
By Wood1988
Thats a good idea, but I have my heat mat set on the same timer as my lights (so its switched on for 14 hours a day) as I am trying to save as much money on electricity bills as possible.

I have also noticed a red/purple growth in one of the root cuttings and I am puzzled as to what it is. Could it be a new plant (not convinced as there are no other roots emerging from the segment) and it has remained the same size for more than three weeks?

Cheers.
Attachments:
New plantlet or something else?
New plantlet or something else?
red bud.jpg (934.37 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
Side view of the mysterious lump
Side view of the mysterious lump
growth.jpg (404.13 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
By Apollyon
Can't really see it but if it's coming from the root then it is propagating itself. It uses the main root as it's source for a time. It doesn't throw down roots immediately. They also do take a while to get going. Just keep doing what you're doing. It appears to be working.
By Wood1988
Well, believe it or not I have what appears to be a plantlet (it's just a green bump at the moment) emerging from one of my root cuttings. This is kind of predictable because the root already has smaller roots branching off the thicker section, which I planted directly in the media in a spare pot.

Here is a photo of the plantlet, sorry the colours aren't very good (I have ringed the subject in green to make it easier to spot).
Attachments:
Plantlet
Plantlet
Inkedemerging plantlet_LI.jpg (3.73 MiB) Viewed 1164 times
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!