FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By vtrap
what time of butterwort is this? i think its a mexican
nick&karen 003.JPG
nick&karen 003.JPG (49.01 KiB) Viewed 5187 times
what type of american pitcher is this? if it is infact a american pitcher
nick&karen 012.JPG
nick&karen 012.JPG (35.1 KiB) Viewed 5187 times
what kind of vft is this?
nick&karen 013.JPG
nick&karen 013.JPG (82.7 KiB) Viewed 5187 times
thanks for the help
NICK :P
vtrap liked this
By Veronis
They're all etiolated in the photos and many are young/don't have a lot of defined growth, so it's really a guessing game. We'd need more recent or clearer pictures when they're healthier to give you a better response.

First one looks most like Pinguicula primuliflora (also, it's common in cultivation).

Second could be so many different things, but it is definitely an American Pitcher plant. It looks most closely like a Sarracenia "Scarlet Belle", which is also fairly common in cultivation.

Third one is probably a Typical, but you need healthy growth/traps to be able to ID any flytrap.
By Matt
Wow, yeah, I've never seen plants that were so light starved. It looks like they've been growing on the back side of one of the moons of Saturn for the last 2 months.

The Sarracenia is almost definitely a 'Scarlet Belle' and the flytrap is almost certainly a typical. I'm not familiar with most Pinguiculas, but I'd have to agree with Veronis that it's probably a P. primuliflora.

You should definitely change your growing set up as soon as you can because those plants won't live long with the amount of light they're getting.
By vtrap
yes i know they are light starved, the place i got them had them on a bottom shelf underneath all the other plants, its getting lusher now in my opinion :shock:
By Matt
vtrap wrote:yes i know they are light starved, the place i got them had them on a bottom shelf underneath all the other plants
Ah, I see. That explains it. I'm sure they'll do better with more sunlight. That Venus fly trap doesn't even look like a Venus fly trap.
By vtrap
i know lol, but i have a prob i can usualy only give them about a hour of light at a time because there so sensitive they burn easy so i moved them to the corners of the terrerium and one of them has oppened up 3 of its pitchers the other not doin so well, its dehidrateing fast
By Veronis
The flytrap and scarlet belle don't need a terrarium. What they need is full sun. Worry less about humidity and more about light. They will adapt to most any humidity, even a common ~20%.

The Ping would probably dry up and die within an hour in full sun though - they like bright full shade. I don't know if the ping should be in the terrarium.

An hour of sun a day isn't going to make healthy plants.

You need to acclimate them. Do you live somewhere where the sun is really intense?

Typically you just put them outside and keep them shaded and slowly increase the amount of light they get per day by moving them a bit each week.

You will absolutely lose some leaves due to the climate change, but done properly, it's the best way to get them to spring to life.

I had some pitcher plants that were indoors and in mini-terrariums where I bought them - I put them out in the sun and all 20-ish pitchers shriveled up and died. A few weeks later, they're putting up new healthy pitchers to replace all the ones it lost.
By moof
Pings like higher humidty, but they don't need a terrarium. Theyi can live in one, but not a necessity. I second to what Veronis said, pitcher plants are very good outdoor-growers as well as VFT's, dependind on the place where you live
By alabama
you can tell by the silver mesh color on the pitchers its most def a scarlett belle and i just stick mine out in the sun to acclimate full sun day one vyour going to lose some leafs and i determined that its less worse if you stick in in full sun from day one on a vft that i had to acclimate i lost 3 leafs and by the time those 3 leafs died 4 new ones had grown and i was very pleased.
By Steve_D
The plant in the second photo is certainly one of the Sarracenia psittacina hybrids, such as 'Scarlet Belle' (S. psittacina and S. leucophylla), 'Lady Bug', 'Doodle Bug' or 'Love Bug.'
By Xterms
Matt wrote:It looks like they've been growing on the back side of one of the moons of Saturn for the last 2 months.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!