FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Eventerminator
Hello,

I have successfully germinated some Cape Sundew seedlings. It’s been around 3-4 months now but they are still very small.

They were planted quite close because my sprinkling technique is really bad and I couldn’t see them.

Are they hampering each other?
69122A4C-F674-42BB-A74F-E979035ABE9E.jpeg
69122A4C-F674-42BB-A74F-E979035ABE9E.jpeg (4.83 MiB) Viewed 1885 times
Thanks!
By ChefDean
It's possible that they'll compete if they're too close, there's only so much space. If they're right on top of each other, the one who grows the longest roots the fastest will get the water, possibly restricting what is available to the others.
Some plants also excrete a chemical that deters nearby plants from growing, but I don't think sundews are one of them.
Eventerminator liked this
By Huntsmanshorn
Eventerminator wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:50 am Are they hampering each other?
In peat there is typically very little in the way of nutrients, and when your seedlings are all bunched up like that, they have to compete for what little there is, which slows down growth even more than otherwise. You want them to grow faster? Feed them Seymour.
By NightRaider
My pot of tiny tokaiensis seedlings did almost nothing for months, so a while back I split off the larger ones into a cell tray and they've grown far more in the few weeks since than any of them had when they were all potted together. So yeah, IME at least they definitely seem to grow much faster if they get some space, even without feeding.
By MaxVft
Yeah, my 5 month old Capillaris have been the same size since they were a month old, even with proper feedings. My Capensis x Hercules did the opposite, leaf jumping like crazy, even though they were clumped together. I believe it's just the species and how they grow in nature, for example capensis often grows in bushes in the wild which is probably why they went so big for me.
Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!