FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By idwaneo
Hello, Im mostly growing my flytraps in peat moss with live sphagnum in the top. But Ive read that in pure live sphagnum moss they grow better than in peat moss. And that it provides aeration to roots( without perlite) and since its always growing there is no need to change the medium as with dead peat moss. Anyone experienced in this topic? Also heard that with live sphagnum moss better to use pot without drainage.
By Matt
idwaneo wrote:But Ive read that in pure live sphagnum moss they grow better than in peat moss. And that it provides aeration to roots( without perlite)
Flytraps grow better (in the short-term) in long fiber sphagnum than they do in peat. I would suspect they grow in live sphagnum better than peat as well, but live sphagnum moss usually isn't used for growing flytraps because it will grow faster than the flytraps and crowd out the sunlight unless trimmed back.
By Matt
idwaneo wrote:In case of trimming back, will they grow better than in peat moss?
I don't really understand your question. Trimming back is irrelevant. They always grow better in long fiber sphagnum.
idwaneo wrote:Also what will be the advantages of live sphagnum than peat moss? Bigger traps? Faster growth?
Again, I've never grown flytraps in live sphagnum. In my experience, they grow better in long fiber sphagnum than in peat.
By Matt
Ah, I understand now. Yes, flytraps will grow better in live sphagnum than they will in peat moss.

idwaneo wrote:Also whats the difference between LFSM and live sphagnum?
Long fiber sphagnum moss (LFSM) is typically dead (not growing). Live sphagnum is still alive and will grow.
By Archie Adams
Technically yes, it will work. That said, it's harder to monitor the moisture level of pure sphagnum and it tends to go from wet to dry very quickly. Growing Drosera in pure sphagnum would be a bit easier than VFTs as Drosera tend to like more moisture than VFTs.
By idwaneo
idwaneo wrote:Also whats the difference between LFSM and live sphagnum?
Long fiber sphagnum moss (LFSM) is typically dead (not growing). Live sphagnum is still alive and will grow.
[/quote]

How I know its dead? I have bought brown one and dried and always after few months some of it comes to life
By Matt
Archie Adams wrote:That said, it's harder to monitor the moisture level of pure sphagnum and it tends to go from wet to dry very quickly.
Right, that's true. The larger the pot, the easier it is to keep the moisture level stable though. And we use peat in the bottom of our large 10-inch and 12-inch pots to hold a moisture reservoir in the bottom of the pot while using pure sphagnum in the top 3 or 4 inches of the pot. The rhizome is only in direct contact with the sphagnum, which allows the plants to grow better and helps prevent disease.

idwaneo wrote:How I know its dead? I have bought brown one and dried and always after few months some of it comes to life
That does happen. If long-fiber sphagnum is completely dried out for long enough, it will not be able to regrow. However, it does often regrow from what looks to be completely dry, dead sphagnum moss.

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!