FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By TrapsAndDews
This may sound like a dumb question to some :? , but I want to know if it's safe to use cat food for CPs, particularly sundews. Anyone ever tried it?
By MaxVft
Most likely not, since they contain animal fibers, such as beef and chicken. I wouldn't exactly take the risk, as they don't contain a whole lot of nitrogen and are often very poisonous to CPs.
I would recommend buying a 2 dollar container of fish food or bloodworms at the local pet store.

Also, no questions are dumb. As several people have said, this is a forum, ask away.
By thepitchergrower
I would take into consideration the humidity. If your area has high humidity using Fish food would cause mold. Maybe use Maxsea, which can be requested from the seed bank.
Some people used powdered fish food in water.
By TrapsAndDews
I need to wait 2 more months before I can request Maxsea. I just saw that I have lots of fungus gnats flying around my flytraps, I can use those for my sundews for now.
By Panman
Cat food would have too much protein and other types of nutrients in it. People use fish food, specifically bloodworms, because they are insect larvae and have similar nutrients to what the plant can naturally catch.
Savethetrees4life liked this

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!