FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Nightshade
I’ve had this Flytrap for almost a year now and I’m still not sure the exact species, if anyone can identify it please let me know! :)

I’m not sure why it looks like a totally different plant in just the year that I’ve had it, but hopefully that’s a good thing.

Also if anyone has any helpful information or tips those are welcome!

I’ve also never used this website/forum before so my apologies if I’ve done it incorrectly

-Kaz
Attachments:
May 27th 2019 Current stage of growth and development as of posting
May 27th 2019 Current stage of growth and development as of posting
82F98DAF-FD8A-4660-8095-FCACC7A40ECD.jpeg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 3377 times
May 2019
May 2019
02FC4730-FABE-49FE-B242-BA65D2A7DAA6.jpeg (486.88 KiB) Viewed 3377 times
May 2019
May 2019
EDFFAA47-C4FC-4003-989F-0CA7E3A7D094.jpeg (516.14 KiB) Viewed 3377 times
February 2019 after its first winter with me
February 2019 after its first winter with me
AF7A54BB-DAFE-42C1-90D3-A0152FBED476.jpeg (305.3 KiB) Viewed 3377 times
January 2019 (I live in Canada but I wintered it outside by planting the glass pot into another planter with mosses and such, covered with a clear bin to let light in, and keep snow out)
January 2019 (I live in Canada but I wintered it outside by planting the glass pot into another planter with mosses and such, covered with a clear bin to let light in, and keep snow out)
CCAB30F7-4DA8-4601-A9D6-D335B41BB0CE.jpeg (285.43 KiB) Viewed 3377 times
E188A482-FBBB-4034-B4A5-9D04CC9242D0.png
E188A482-FBBB-4034-B4A5-9D04CC9242D0.png (1.78 MiB) Viewed 3377 times
A picture of the flower bud before I trimmed it off
A picture of the flower bud before I trimmed it off
C57F3770-BD77-4D88-942A-1A453D1CD320.jpeg (1019.54 KiB) Viewed 3377 times
Oldest photo I can find of the Flytrap (mid August 2018) I got it months prior to this but can’t find any earlier photos
Oldest photo I can find of the Flytrap (mid August 2018) I got it months prior to this but can’t find any earlier photos
48701CB1-7578-4314-A46F-C252FAE10B93.jpeg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 3377 times
By Nightshade
Fieldofscreams wrote:If it didn't come labeled then it's just a typical.

Your growing conditions are not optimal.

Alright then, I think the box had some kind of name on it but when I looked it up there was no results

And if my growing conditions aren’t optimal would you mind explaining how and why? That’s more helpful information than to just say I’m doing it wrong
By Nightshade
Copper2 wrote:Too wet and not enough sun. Treat it like lawn except with no fertilizer and other chemicals

I water it with the same water I give to my invertebrates and amphibians, free of chemicals and other treatment, and have since I got it so no worries there.

And the pot it’s in has a drainage layer, the bottom is rocks, then pond liner, then a mixture of spaghnum and peatmosses, I usually only water it when the drainage layer is empty.

Would just moving it into more direct sunlight be better? I worry about it drying out as it can get 30+ degrees (Celsius) here. May I also ask what this would achieve? Like what would be optimal growth and condition for this plant? (I’m not sure it’s exact age so I’m not sure how it should be behaving, etc)

Much appreciate the help:)
By Copper2
The plant’s age doesn’t matter. I don’t know what to say about the drainage layer, but I can still say it’s too wet. You wouldn’t grow lawn in mush, right? That would cause the grass to rot so treat the VTF the same. The peat can go almost dry too with no harm to the plant just never fully dry.

Yes, stick it in full sun uncovered. It doesn’t need humidity, and a humidity dome will burn the plant when the sun hits it sort of like a car heating up at a parking lot. Full sun is needed for good compact and fast growth and to make sure it won’t die.
By Nightshade
Copper2 wrote:The plant’s age doesn’t matter. I don’t know what to say about the drainage layer, but I can still say it’s too wet. You wouldn’t grow lawn in mush, right? That would cause the grass to rot so treat the VTF the same. The peat can go almost dry too with no harm to the plant just never fully dry.

Yes, stick it in full sun uncovered. It doesn’t need humidity, and a humidity dome will burn the plant when the sun hits it sort of like a car heating up at a parking lot. Full sun is needed for good compact and fast growth and to make sure it won’t die.

Alright can do! It gets a few hours of sunlight in the current spot but there are a few spots in my yard that get good sunlight all day so I can move it today and that should also keep it from being too wet. It has roughly 30 traps on it at the moment, it’s very small at the moment but growing rapidly. I had it in direct sun most of last summer but the plant didn’t grow much or get much of a red colour (not sure if that’s from bad care or if the species just doesn’t get red) I think it’s doing better this year though so I appreciate the help as I’d like to keep it alive as long as possible :)
By SundewWolf
That thick layer of algae on top of the sphagnum is a sign it's getting way too soggy in it's current set up/watering routine. Also there isn't enough light. I can't imagine growing VFTs if they aren't in full sun outdoors, or under some strong grow lights. They should look robust and colorful, if they don't there is something wrong with their growing conditions and they'r eon their way to dying.

Also with the invertebrate water... is it free of minerals as well? Most people use rainwater or distilled water specifically for the low TDS.
SundewWolf liked this
By DragonsEye
Just as an FYI to the OP ....

The species of your vft is easy: Dionaea muscipula. There is only one species so all vfts are the same in this regard. What you are looking for is the name of the cultivar of yours. ;)

DragonsEye liked this
By Nightshade
SundewWolf wrote:That thick layer of algae on top of the sphagnum is a sign it's getting way too soggy in it's current set up/watering routine. Also there isn't enough light. I can't imagine growing VFTs if they aren't in full sun outdoors, or under some strong grow lights. They should look robust and colorful, if they don't there is something wrong with their growing conditions and they'r eon their way to dying.

Also with the invertebrate water... is it free of minerals as well? Most people use rainwater or distilled water specifically for the low TDS.

I feel like people may be not reading the captions of the post, the bright green plant with plenty of traps is the most recent photo, the one with the algae and such is from many many months ago. And about the water I believe so but It’s going to get majority rainwater now as I won’t be watering it as much as I used to since many have pointed out it’s too wet.

I have since posting yesterday cleaned out the pot and put in a much less wet substrate mix, I also had one of the rhizomes willingly and easily separate so I put that in a separate smaller pot. I’ve also moved it into the sunniest part of my yard so it should start to do better now.
Here’s an update photo
Attachments:
Drier substrate, sunnier area
Drier substrate, sunnier area
F3518D3C-6758-4103-BA50-AD41C06AB934.jpeg (2.65 MiB) Viewed 3274 times
By Nightshade
DragonsEye wrote:Just as an FYI to the OP ....

The species of your vft is easy: Dionaea muscipula. There is only one species so all vfts are the same in this regard. What you are looking for is the name of the cultivar of yours. ;)

Well I mostly only wanted to know cause since I’ve had the plant it’s never really gotten any red colour, even when it was getting hours and hours of sunlight. I’m just trying to figure out if theres something preventing it from getting a red colour or if the plant is just supposed to be green

By Fieldofscreams
That's a good picture of a fly trap that gets juuuuuust enough sunlight to produce traps.

The downside is that your plant is going to sunburn badly and kill most of that growth. But don't worry it will grow new traps that can take the direct sun.
Fieldofscreams liked this
By Copper2
Yeah, I should have mentioned that. Be prepared for it to look terrible from the sun but then it’ll look good when it gets new traps. It’s like kicking kids out of the house, they soon learn to fend for themselves!
By Nightshade
Copper2 wrote:Yeah, I should have mentioned that. Be prepared for it to look terrible from the sun but then it’ll look good when it gets new traps. It’s like kicking kids out of the house, they soon learn to fend for themselves!

Aw alright, Good to know I would have definitely been worried if I went to check on it and it looked bad :p But I’ll to keep updating its progress, it still looks fine now but it’s not even been 2 days yet so I imagine there will be some evolving

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!