FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By riveraXVX
we use stadium style giveaway cups a lot, found styrofoam cups, random plastic cups, larger planters, if it looks like it can hold a plant and we can put drainage holes in it - it likely gets eyeballed haha
riveraXVX liked this
By Cross
riveraXVX wrote:we use stadium style giveaway cups a lot, found styrofoam cups, random plastic cups, larger planters, if it looks like it can hold a plant and we can put drainage holes in it - it likely gets eyeballed haha
ImageImageImage ain't that the truth. I went through my container the other day like 'vft,vft, sarr, oh your deep you go for my drosera, '

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Nightshade
Well I picked up a couple bigger and better plastic pots, with drainage holes on the bottom which I think will be much better than the glass bowl. I haven’t picked up any substrate yet though, all I have on hand at the moment is “enriched” peat moss, and it doesn’t really say what it’s enriched with so I don’t really want to use that. Does anyone know if “enriched” is safe? Probably a stupid question though I’m assuming the answer is no
By Cross
Nightshade wrote:Well I picked up a couple bigger and better plastic pots, with drainage holes on the bottom which I think will be much better than the glass bowl. I haven’t picked up any substrate yet though, all I have on hand at the moment is “enriched” peat moss, and it doesn’t really say what it’s enriched with so I don’t really want to use that. Does anyone know if “enriched” is safe? Probably a stupid question though I’m assuming the answer is no
Enriched is probably not good. It's probably enriched with fertilizers, so it's probably best to stay away from them.

Cross liked this
By Nightshade
Cross wrote:
Nightshade wrote:Well I picked up a couple bigger and better plastic pots, with drainage holes on the bottom which I think will be much better than the glass bowl. I haven’t picked up any substrate yet though, all I have on hand at the moment is “enriched” peat moss, and it doesn’t really say what it’s enriched with so I don’t really want to use that. Does anyone know if “enriched” is safe? Probably a stupid question though I’m assuming the answer is no
Enriched is probably not good. It's probably enriched with fertilizers, so it's probably best to stay away from them.

Yeah I figured, It’ll have to wait a week or so to be repotted then (before anyone asks I’m poor as hell and have no income at the moment so I’m trying to do my best) I did see the kind of peat moss recommended to me though so at least I know I can get it here
By Nightshade
About to repot today, I wasn’t able to find any long fibered Orchid/Sphagnum moss at any of the stores I went to (Walmart, Lowe’s, Canadian Tire or Home Depot) But I did get a big bag of Priemer Peat moss, and a light coloured pot that doesn’t taper much with drainage holes at the bottom.

Question though, does the kind of sand matter? Could I just get some from outside, wash it and then use that?
Attachments:
051787EB-842C-47E2-AAA2-3AF13737FE81.jpeg
051787EB-842C-47E2-AAA2-3AF13737FE81.jpeg (2.35 MiB) Viewed 3120 times
By Nightshade
So a lot of you mentioned my VFT would start looking pretty sad after it started getting more sun, but is it supposed to look this bad?
Attachments:
36105241-1488-4AA9-9ADA-4B3FA4606436.jpeg
36105241-1488-4AA9-9ADA-4B3FA4606436.jpeg (3.09 MiB) Viewed 3051 times
By Cross
Nightshade wrote:So a lot of you mentioned my VFT would start looking pretty sad after it started getting more sun, but is it supposed to look this bad?
Are those new traps or old traps?

By Cross
Fieldofscreams wrote:The one on the right isn't looking so good but I wouldn't worry about it.

The one on the left is going to be a winner for sure. Just have to give it time. It will adjust.
I didn't even see that one on the bottom Image

By Big-Jack
Nightshade wrote:So a lot of you mentioned my VFT would start looking pretty sad after it started getting more sun, but is it supposed to look this bad?
Looks like your soil got too dry. They need to be well watered when out in the sun especially if they are not used to it.
Big-Jack, Big-Jack liked this
Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!