FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By jht-union
Hello flytrapcare community!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to know more about this cultivar ' Big Mouth', what is the size of this cultivar in 2 years or 3?, how long is it?, how long are the leafs?, anything special about this cultivar that you know of??

same for this one: Fine tooth red?

Thanks!

Bye, =D
By Steve_D
Big Mouth grows prostrate, which means that the leaves grow close to the ground all during the year, whereas most Venus Flytraps grow thinner, more upright leaves during the Summer. Big Mouth can (but does not always) develop a deep coloration inside the traps. I personally prefer Low Giant to Big Mouth. Low Giant also grows prostrate, is a somewhat larger plant with usually larger traps than Big Mouth, and has a tendency to color-up deeply more often than Big Mouth.

Fine Tooth x Red is one of the best Venus Flytraps in my opinion, and I think that it is often overlooked because its name is not very glamorous. Although its name contains "fine tooth," its marginal spines are actually usually fairly coarse and sturdy, very menacing and substantial looking. In addition, it tends to develop interior trap color much more readily than many other plants. Fine Tooth x Red does grow somewhat more upright in the Summer but never tall, thin and "leggy" like so many other Flytraps.
Steve_D liked this
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!